Shared vs Dedicated Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Z

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hello,

I have been looking for information on dedicate vs shared graphics. I understand that in general dedicated is better, but I recently got a new machine with ~1.7ish GB shared (8 GB total system), however I have a 1 GB Radeon 4650 from an older machine. Which is better? Is it worth the trouble putting it in (voiding warrently and all, but that is not a big concern...).

I use it for games and video editing mostly (or plan too).

Thanks in advance for any input!!

[updated]

Thanks for the input. Now, if I can just get it to display the right resolution... 1600X is the highest option, but my monitor is a 1080p HGTV (1920X). The integrated graphics did fine with it. I updated the drivers and CCC but no better resolution options. Does anyone know of issues with this card and HGTVs?

Solution
Most integrated graphics are junk for games, If you are going to play games a dedicated graphics is recommended. The HD4650 will destroy Integrated graphics

Look at the hierarchy chart here at Toms

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html

You will see that the HD4650 is a lot better the any integrated GPU.

Most computer makers will not void a warranty if you install hardware, They will not cover the hardware you install.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Most integrated graphics are junk for games, If you are going to play games a dedicated graphics is recommended. The HD4650 will destroy Integrated graphics

Look at the hierarchy chart here at Toms

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html

You will see that the HD4650 is a lot better the any integrated GPU.

Most computer makers will not void a warranty if you install hardware, They will not cover the hardware you install.

Solution

Kari

Splendid

the (shared) memory size doesn't really mean anything, it's the actuall GPU chip that counts.... The shared memory size is just a big number that the marketing people like to use to make sound 'better'

and +1 to all above

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

you can go to youtube and watch some step by step guide on how to install a graphics card physically if you're a little nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.