[SOLVED] Shared WiFi

nismo_z

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I am moving to a new apartment and they have "free WiFi" but I want to add more privacy for me. I am thinking to get a wireless range extender and connect my wireless router to it to make my own wireless connection. Is there any better way to do this?

Solution
I am moving to a new apartment and they have "free WiFi" but I want to add more privacy for me. I am thinking to get a wireless range extender and connect my wireless router to it to make my own wireless connection. Is there any better way to do this?
Buy your own internet service, would be my first suggestion. You may end up doing that anyway, because the service of the shared WIFI may be so poor.
Your idea could work. It would depend on the WIFI extender. The one piece solution is to look for a "travel router". They are designed for use by people in hotels with shared WIFI.

kanewolf

Titan
Buy your own internet service, would be my first suggestion. You may end up doing that anyway, because the service of the shared WIFI may be so poor.
Your idea could work. It would depend on the WIFI extender. The one piece solution is to look for a "travel router". They are designed for use by people in hotels with shared WIFI.

Reactions: nismo_z
Solution

nismo_z

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Thanks for your reply.

I have very little knowledge with networking so please bare with me (let's say that the WiFi is good enough for me)…

1. If I go with the wireless range extender, which wireless range extender should I get?
2. I currently have an Asus RT-AC88U as my wireless router, is the Asus RT-AX88U worth to upgrade to?
3. If I go with the travel router, which travel router should I get? Is the setup easy? Can it stay on for a very long time period?
4. Of the two, which one is more reliable and "faster"?
5. I use and have a lot of Alexa enabled items, which one will be better to support 15+ Alexa enabled items wirelessly?

Lastly, what would you do in this situation?

Thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your reply.

I have very little knowledge with networking so please bare with me (let's say that the WiFi is good enough for me)…

1. If I go with the wireless range extender, which wireless range extender should I get?
2. I currently have an Asus RT-AC88U as my wireless router, is the Asus RT-AX88U worth to upgrade to?
3. If I go with the travel router, which travel router should I get? Is the setup easy? Can it stay on for a very long time period?
4. Of the two, which one is more reliable and "faster"?
5. I use and have a lot of Alexa enabled items, which one will be better to support 15+ Alexa enabled items wirelessly?

Lastly, what would you do in this situation?

Thank you.
I have no recommendation on a wireless range extender. I would not buy one.
The AC88U is a great router. You will get little to no benefit. Especially with a shared WIFI WAN.
I don't believe there is any time limits on a travel router.
I doubt there is any significant performance benefit from either implementation. Shared WIFI probably has limited bandwidth.
Without seeing how crowded your WIFI environment is, it is impossible to determine how many distributed WIFI devices will work.

What would I do. I already answered that. Buy my own internet service and ignore the shared WIFI except at the pool or common areas.

Reactions: nismo_z