[SOLVED] Sharing a monitor between two laptops

May 26, 2020
I am looking to purchase a new monitor to share between 2 laptops via a KVM switch. One is a work machine the other is personal. I currently have problems with one system each time I switch to it. The previous screen settings are lost and the screen is now displayed much larger than it should be and is not readable. What spec do I look for in a monitor that will prevent this issue? Both computers are running Windows 10.

Last edited:
Solution
This is not a monitor issue but an issue with how your the KVM is seen by the system. I use some high end KVMs at work that also do this at times, I would have 4 systems connected and 1 of them has a lower resolution, I am guessing your kvm is a cheaper basic unit that will have more issues.
This is not a monitor issue but an issue with how your the KVM is seen by the system. I use some high end KVMs at work that also do this at times, I would have 4 systems connected and 1 of them has a lower resolution, I am guessing your kvm is a cheaper basic unit that will have more issues.

Solution
May 26, 2020
Thanks for the response. I thought of that but it seems to vary from one monitor to the next with one of the computers. I am currently using an 18 inch Sylvania TV as a monitor and the problem does not exist. When I try a larger TV as a monitor, the problem exists with my Lenovo laptop but not with the HP laptop. I need to invest in a 24 inch monitor but I don't want to purchase one if the same problem is going to appear. Same is true for purchasing a better KVM switch. I would like to understand where the current problem resides before making a purchase of something new. Is it a monitor issue, a KVM switch issue or is it a graphics card issue in the Lenovo laptop?

Thanks for the response. I thought of that but it seems to vary from one monitor to the next with one of the computers. I am currently using an 18 inch Sylvania TV as a monitor and the problem does not exist. When I try a larger TV as a monitor, the problem exists with my Lenovo laptop but not with the HP laptop. I need to invest in a 24 inch monitor but I don't want to purchase one if the same problem is going to appear. Same is true for purchasing a better KVM switch. I would like to understand where the current problem resides before making a purchase of something new. Is it a monitor issue, a KVM switch issue or is it a graphics card issue in the Lenovo laptop?

No way to know for sure, the KVM for sure is involved between the devices and that is my guess as to the cause. Without trying different things can't narrow down where the issue is. Another option is just to use different inputs on the monitor and just swap between them on the monitor.

kanewolf

Titan
What type connection are you using ? With an 18 inch Sylvania TV, I am guessing VGA.