Sharing DSL With Two Desktop Computers

Kohdi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Hi, i am brand new to this whole networking thing. I need help on connecting my two desktop computers to share a single DSL internet connection. I have not bought anything yet, just my two computers. Could someone help me through the process of what i should buy and how to do it without all the technical mumbo jumbo?

Thanks

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Hard to do without ANY technical mumbo jumbo...

Do you know the make and model number of your DSL modem? The reason I ask is to determine if it has router functionality and an ethernet switch built in. This will help determine what else you need to buy.

G

Just buy any home router (wired or wireless) power off the DSL modem, connect the DSL modem to the router's Internet port, connect the 2 PCs to 2 local ports on the router, power on the DSL modem & router and then run the router's setup CD.

Grumpy

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Many of the DSL modems supplied these days have a router built in. If so, all he needs is an ethernet switch. That's why I asked. A switch is a lot cheaper and requires NO setup. It is also possible his DSL modem has a switch built in, too, in which case all he needs are cables.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well, that link is certainly low on the technical mumbo jumbo scale! :wink: I'm not sure even I have the patience to wade through all of that.

Anyway, Kohdi, where does your setup stand at this point? Did your ISP / DSL provider do any installation services at all, or did they just deliver the hardware to you and wish you good luck?

It looks like your device has everything you need built in except for the ethernet switch, and you don't absolutely need that, since it is capable of operating with one computer connected to the ethernet port and the other connected to the USB port; (see p 13, section 5.4.3 of the manual). If you want to do that, you don't need to buy anything additional at all (assuming you have the complete kit that should have come with your modem).

Your package should have contained, in addition to the modem, an ethernet cable, a USB cable, a telephone cable, a power supply / brick for the modem, a quick start guide and a CD.

If you could tell me where you are in the process of getting connected, perhaps I can help you further.

Here is a link to the PDF user manual for your modem. This PDF document should also be on your CD that came with the modem.

If you are doing your own installation, don't forget to install the phone line filters on each actual telephone.

(Editted - found where ethernet and USB will work at the same time)

Kohdi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Well, I've had DSL on just this computer around a year now, so it's been hooked up for quite some time. Everything you listed that should have come with it was supplied, and i did have it sent to me through the mail. Installation was done by myself.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you are up and running with one computer through the ethernet port on the router/modem, and if you can affort the $10 bucks or so, I'd recommend you get a small ethernet switch and put that between your computers and your router. This will require the switch plus two more ethernet cables.

Once you connect everything together, both computers should be able to access the internet. If you want them to also operate as a local home network (so they can share folders, printers, etc.), then run the home network setup wizard on each machine. What OS's are you running?

Or, you could use the USB port for the second computer; refer to your documentation on how to set that up.

I recommend the ethernet switch since it is a more "normal" home network setup, and also allows for expansion down the road with the 2 unused ports on the switch (assuming a 5 port switch).

Kohdi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Well I'm not sure if this is a problem but the one computer recieving internet uses the usb port to get me online, the ethernet light on my modem doesn't light up. :\

Although i still have an ethernet port on my computer and on my modem, if i plug them in, nothing happens. The second computer has an ethernet port as well.

My 1st computer uses Windows XP Home Edition,and the 2nd computer uses Windows XP Professional.

Also, when i go out today to buy what i need, what should be on my shopping list?

Thanks again, you're being such a great help.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well I'm not sure if this is a problem but the one computer recieving internet uses the usb port to get me online, the ethernet light on my modem doesn't light up. :\

Although i still have an ethernet port on my computer and on my modem, if i plug them in, nothing happens. The second computer has an ethernet port as well.

My 1st computer uses Windows XP Home Edition,and the 2nd computer uses Windows XP Professional.

Also, when i go out today to buy what i need, what should be on my shopping list?

Thanks again, you're being such a great help.
The ethernet light not being on is normal if there is nothing connected.

OK, try this.

Leave your USB connected computer connected.
Connect your second computer to the modem using the ethernet port.
Power cycle the modem.
After the modem completes its re-boot, then re-boot both computers.

Does the LAN (ethernet) light come on?
Do you have a LAN connection shown as "connected" on your second computer?

If no to these, you could have a bad cable, you could be trying to use a crossover cable (I couldn't tell if your modem can adapt to this, so assume not), your modem's ethernet port could be bad (or disabled?), or your computer's NIC could be bad.

Can you access the admin screens for the modem using the USB connection?

I don't know what setup your DSL provider requires for the modem, but if you are sure you can reconnect to your DSL, you could also do a "hard reset" on the modem to put it back to factory default settings.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
No, and you apparently didn't either since you never retracted your earlier advice to buy a router.

PS: I'm not trying to start a feud with you; my earlier comment was just poking a little fun at pointing a guy asking for non-technical advice to a page of 10,000 links! :wink:

G

No, and you apparently didn't either since you never retracted your earlier advice to buy a router.

PS: I'm not trying to start a feud with you; my earlier comment was just poking a little fun at pointing a guy asking for non-technical advice to a page of 10,000 links! :wink:

Most DSL modems that I am familar with do not have a built-in router. A router would have worked as well as a switch but cost more. The OP asked to keep it simple.

If you ignore the links on the top of the page, there were only 8 links and not 10,000. :wink:

Grumpy

Kohdi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Just to see if it worked, i tried something a little different. I took my modem, unplugged the usb from my first computer and brought it across the hall to my second computer. I plugged in the ethernet cable to this second computer, and the light came on. I could then surf the web on the second computer. If I buy a longer ethernet cable, can i hook up my modem to both computers simultaneously? (Computer 1 hooked up by USB, and Computer 2 hooked up by ethernet) Or Will This Not Work?

G

According to Iceblue, both ports should work at the same time.

Grumpy

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

Most DSL modems that I am familar with do not have a built-in router. A router would have worked as well as a switch but cost more. The OP asked to keep it simple.

If you ignore the links on the top of the page, there were only 8 links and not 10,000. :wink:

GrumpyYeah, I exaggerate... so sue me! :D

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
According to Iceblue, both ports should work at the same time.

Grumpy
Actually, it was according to the user manual for the device (link above in the thread somewhere).

Kohdi, the manual says it will work, but I would still recommend the ethernet switch and not use the USB port at all. It is a more conventional network setup which allows for more flexibility down the road. And, the switch is cheap.

starcad

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Well Ice, I have to disagree with you here and say that my vote is for a switch as per the modem instructions. You see that modem will only run with either the eithernet OR the USB and not both.

From the manual

"Ethernet and USB connectivity. Ethernet is highly recommended, does not require drivers, and is not dependent on any particular OS. USB connectivity requires USB drivers that may not be compatible with all OSs. You can choose one or the other for connectivity but you can not use both simultaneously".

Trying to run both simultaneously would cause the modem to try and assign two dynamic IP's form DHCP thus causing pathway confusion and thus not allowing either computer to be assigned a valid IP.

Note this modem already has a built in router and I assume that this would allow for CAT 5 between both computers via a switch to allow the handshacking.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well Ice, I have to disagree with you here and say that my vote is for a switch as per the modem instructions.
In what way, exactly, are you disagreeing with me, since I recommended the same thing.
You see that modem will only run with either the eithernet OR the USB and not both.
Really? What about section 5.4.3 which starts out like this:
5.4.3 Installation via 10/100 Base-T Ethernet and USB (Simultaneous
Installation for Models 6100 and 6110)

Models 6100 and 6110 support simultaneous use of 10/100 Base-T Ethernet and USB ports. The following instructions explain how to install your Modem for simultaneous use of Ethernet and USB ports.

From the manual

"Ethernet and USB connectivity. Ethernet is highly recommended, does not require drivers, and is not dependent on any particular OS. USB connectivity requires USB drivers that may not be compatible with all OSs. You can choose one or the other for connectivity but you can not use both simultaneously".
From what manual? I can't find that quote in this manual anywhere. The linked manual appears to be the manual from the manufacturer for his modem. If it is not, please provide further information on what manual you are quoting.

I did not claim both would work simultaneously. All I said was the manual said they would, but I did not recommend using that connection scheme.

Trying to run both simultaneously would cause the modem to try and assign two dynamic IP's form DHCP thus causing pathway confusion and thus not allowing either computer to be assigned a valid IP.
What? "Simultaneously" in the context of this thread means both ports out of the modem being used simultaneously - one to computer A, the other to computer B. This sounds like you are trying to connect both USB and ethernet to the same COMPUTER simultaneously?

Note this modem already has a built in router and I assume that this would allow for CAT 5 between both computers via a switch to allow the handshacking.
Already been noted in this thread. Did you read the thread before responding?

starcad

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Well Ice, I have to disagree with you here and say that my vote is for a switch as per the modem instructions. You see that modem will only run with either the eithernet OR the USB and not both.

From the manual

Well, Tom, you will have to excuse me as I followed the link in the previous part of the thread and was refering to an update to the manual. After following your new link you are correct in that the modem will support both Eithernet and USB. I Stand Corrected and have learned something new. - Guy