Sharing Internet Connection

I have just brought a D-Link Wireless USB Adapter and have that plugged into my desktop and I am trying to get my notebook which has wireless LAN card in it to be able to share my internet connection.
My desktop has the internet connection and I want the notebook to use it. I have a connection between the 2 computers but cant view eachothers files so I know something is wrong there.
Does anyone know what the hell I have done for this not to work?
Thanks In Advance

Hi there Peita,

How do u wish to share the internet connection ? Do u have a router?

In case u do not have a router, then you may share a single internet
connection using a proxy or ICS which is available with Windows. Check out
the below site for more info:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ics

Furthemore, dont forget to change the wireless adapter's mode to Ad-Hoc.

Finally, before u proceed with settings up a Proxy or ICS, check whether yer
able to ping both computer. You must be able to ping the Notebook from
desktop and the desktop from notebook. A successful connection will result
in 4 replies.

HTH
Venkatesh

"Peita" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just brought a D-Link Wireless USB Adapter and have that plugged
into my desktop and I am trying to get my notebook which has wireless LAN
card in it to be able to share my internet connection.
> My desktop has the internet connection and I want the notebook to use it.
I have a connection between the 2 computers but cant view eachothers files
so I know something is wrong there.
> Does anyone know what the hell I have done for this not to work?
> Thanks In Advance

Take a look at the following site for general information on sharing connections:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_overview.mspx

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.