Sharing modem for faxing

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Currently I have 4 PC networked together. I am able sharing the printer, files, and internet connection (cable modem) from the server. I also have an regular Data Fax modem installed on my server. Is it possible to share the Fax modem so all PC can send fax though the server?

Any help will be appreciated.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't believe so, but you can easily send faxes over the internet, which is already shared. Just go look around <A HREF="http://www.tucows.com" target="_new">Tucows</A> for some software to do it with.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Surely if you set the fax up as a printer (which most fax software does anyway), and then shared the faxprinter as you would share any other printer- would this not work? hmm I may try it when I get home unless (likely..) I've forgotton by then!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Yes I know, but a lot of fax software installs a "fax printer" in the printers folder, and to fax, you simply "print" to the faxprinter, I tried this last night at home and seemed to work ok (I didnt fax but dialed my other phone and it seemed to go ok), the fax software needed installing on both pc's

Next time you wave - use all your fingers