Sharing one monitor w/2 computers

Violence

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
This might seem like an odd question, but I was wondering if there are any type of products out there that allow you to share one monitor between two computers.

I'm planning on building a new high-end gaming machine and was considering keeping my old one to use just for net surfing and possibly business applications.

Obviously, you could not have both machines using the monitor at the same time, but I was sort of thinking of some kind of "switch" that I could adjust from an A to B setting so that I would not have to crawl under the desk and unplug/replug cords.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Yeah there's loads of products which do this.

<A HREF="http://www.compucable.com/peripheral_sharing/embed.asp?stuff=se_usb_body.html" target="_new"> This </A> one shares monitor and kbd/mouse.

<A HREF="http://www.stonewallcable.com/product.asp?dept_id=3007&pf_id=SW-HD15-2" target="_new"> This </A> just for sharing a monitor.

Violence

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Thanks Hammerhead. Just out of curiosity, do you have experience with this sort of product? Just wondering if it in any way reduces the quality of the picture on the monitor.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
err violence, i would recommend getting something better... you are lucky beacause linksys has one:

<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004SB99/qid=1031015523/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-5333025-3327969?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846" target="_new">buy it here from amazon</A>

then use this code as a gift code when u check out:
MAPDCARD3Q35

30 bucks for a top quality switch.. i use it and its very useful. i just double tap ctrl button and it switches to my other comp. there is also a button on the switch to switch back and forth.

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
In my experience they did reduce image quality. It's been a few years since I've used them though, they may have improved.

I wasn't recommending the two I posted links to. Just did a quick google search and they were the first two results.

The switch that grassapa posted looks vastly superior. If it's as good as it looks and I were in the US... At that price I'd order one now :smile:

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I did not notice any reduce in image quality with my Belkin KVM. I am using the KVM with a 19 inch CRT at 1280 X 1024 resoltion and 85 Hz refresh rate.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a monitor that has built in dual capabilities...would'nt change it for the world. Your biggest issue is going to be the cables......most KVm's come with crap quality cables.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is not true. Tom's hardware have done a review on a few KVM a while ago and they did not find any problem with the cables come with KVM they reviewed.