Sharing usb modem through router

mmtbpz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have set up my main pc to share my usb modem via ethernet cable with my laptop.Can I use this setup to route the signal wirelessly using a router.I have tried on a number of occasions but keep losing the connection in the main pc. Do I have conflicting IP addresses? Kinda a nube at this all but not completely computer illiterate.Any help would be appreciated and I thank everyone in adv

G

Internet Connection Sharing takes an IP address -- this tends to upset routers.

The usual advice is to dump the USB modem and buy a router with its own modem built in -- then you can attach many computers to the internet via the router.

Seek advice of your Internbet Service Provider on what routers they support -- some ISP help sites provide details on setting up popular brands.

mmtbpz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Internet Connection Sharing takes an IP address -- this tends to upset routers.

The usual advice is to dump the USB modem and buy a router with its own modem built in -- then you can attach many computers to the internet via the router.

Seek advice of your Internbet Service Provider on what routers they support -- some ISP help sites provide details on setting up popular brands.
The usb modem is my only source of internet out in the country.The router that my isp suggests is in the $300 range.I've seen this question asked many times but have not seen anyone respond with a configuration or setup.No disrespect but i was looking for a cheaper way to accomplish my goal.I'm looking to share the usb's internet signal wirelessly throughout the house.

G

What you didn't make clear is whether you were on ADSL or Cable -- the clue that you are out in the country suggests that, in fact, your are on cellphone type internet.

Now I understand.

ICS if pretty flaky, so you will have problems.