Sharkoon Announces WPM V2 Series Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm always surprised by anyone that's content to buy a budget PSU; the PSU is one of those things where it really pays to get something better that will last you a lot longer.I mean I always try to get a PSU that's several hundred watts more than I need, as that way you can forget all about total power consumption and just connect what you like. Unless you're connecting multiple graphics cards you shouldn't have to worry about hitting the limit. A PSU with a good efficiency will also waste less power, and thus generate less heat, and in turn should be quieter, they also generally come with generous warranties.I dunno, the last thing I would want is a crappy PSU, as every single component in your build is dependent on it, so a bad choice can mean the whole thing fails.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

I completely agree that the PSU is something that I do not cut corners on as every other piece in your entire system is connected to it, so buying something of quality makes sense. I can also see buying a power supply that is larger than needed, but only if you have intentions of adding a second graphics card later. If you only intend on running a single video card (since nothing else you would be adding in the future is going to ramp up power needs anywhere close to a second GPU) it is much better to plan out how much your system is going to draw and buy a proper wattage PSU. The reason being that PSU's run at their maximum efficiency while under a 50% load. So saying your system draws 280 watts, 700w power supply would be ideal if we are assuming it is an 80% efficient model. (80% of 700w = 560w which is the actual output, and loading it 50% puts it at 280w). Getting up into the gold and platinum rated PSU's makes your wattage requirement even smaller from the added efficiency. Please note that this is just to try and hit maximum efficiency, as a lower wattage would still be fine, but you don't want to be taxing it too much.

I apologize Haravikk if that is what you meant by stating " I always try to get a PSU that's several hundred watts more than I need", but I just wanted to clarify that in this case you would need a 700w, but buying a 1000w with no intentions of later adding another GPU would actually be worse. Another thing to consider is that the bigger the PSU, the less efficient they are at idle. So if you leave on your PC 24/7, planning out the proper wattage becomes important again. But like you were saying, this is one component where I always recommend people bite the bullet and buy something nice like a smaller 90%+ efficient model.

As far as this power supply in the article, you can find 80 Plus certified PSU's for roughly the same price after rebate so I don't really see where the value is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.