Sharkoon Shoves Four SSDs in a 5.25-inch Drive Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wouldn't it have made more sense to mount the 2.5" drives two deep and two wide on the bottom, and use peg's in the middle to hold the drives in place?

Seems like a stupid design to me...

Good idea eliminating the need for separate drive bays in a case. If I were a case designer, I'd be working with these guys on integrating these brackets somehow into ITX and mATX cases.

I would also look at removing standard drive bays in mid and full towers while using these in the 5.25" drive bays.

Great front-to-back airflow anyone?!

twelve25

Distinguished

I'm thinking two drives side by side facing down and two side by side facing up, mounted with the bottom screw holes of the drive.

Although this does also allow a 3.5" so maybe it's more intelligent than it appears at first glance.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This is great except that I've seen a number of other devices like this that are hot swappable and fit up to 6 2.5" drives. I'm considering using one of these to setup a compact raid array.

Apr 16, 2013
This can actualy be done in a better way, SuperMicro offers this for a long time; search their website for: Mobile Rack M14T... it's hot swappable as well, but arguably not looking that nice

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Yes but the 3.5" drive is on the top, not the bottom, Additionally if you were using a side by side two deep approach, you could use either 6x 2.5" drives or 4x 2.5" drive + 1 3.5" drive.

Looking at the pictures, the bottom mounted drives are very inefficient at using space.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah you'd think at least one or more of the power cables would get blocked by the drive cage which means you'd have to find some way to keep said cables from constantly getting unplugged.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I use a 3.5inch to 2.5 inch bracket and put to drives in it by twisting the SSDs on there side. This design could benefit from making the SSD's vertical instead of horizontal. I wouldn't take just on 5.25 bay but I would give much better airflow to the drives. And could possibly fit about 6 SSD's

I thought the same thing initially, but if you look at the exploded view of the top image, it appears the lower set of drives is set back a bit within the bracket. This would solve the problem of anything being blocked.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

The two bottom SSD drives need to be staggered in depth(with the top one's connector panel protruding father than the bottom one) or the cables, which are mostly right angle connectors (for data and power) would not fit into both drives at the same time.

True. While you can easily find SATA data connectors with 2 straight ends, the power connectors would be a problem.

They should have just set the bottom back similar to the top setup where there are four SSDs attached.

coloradoleo76

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Agreed that this is a good use of an optical bay. I had thought if someone could build in a RAID controller with a single SATA interface to the motherboard, it would be a good way to saturate a SATA III (or the next iteration) port with mechanical drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.