Sharp Announces 'Industry's Thinnest' 32-Inch 4K Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
A 24" 4K monitor is a bit pointless. A 32" 4K monitor would be just great! Now we only need 2 things;
1. Prices to come down
2. Graphics cards to push these pixels in games :D! Wow!

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]A 24" 4K monitor is a bit pointless. A 32" 4K monitor would be just great! Now we only need 2 things;1. Prices to come down2. Graphics cards to push these pixels in games ! Wow![/citation]
I don't think it would be pointless at all. The difference in PPI would still be discernable. I, personally, would want an eyefinity group od these. :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]Edge-lit LED = no deep blacks.[/citation]

That could be a slight issue if the lighting in the room is too strong.

Will the monitor come in matte or glossy? I prefer matte because glossy and strong sunlight through large windows never mix.

This! This is exactly what I have been waiting for! A screen in the 30-35" range with 4K to use as my computer monitor.

All I want now is for it to come down to the ~$800 level and be capable of 60fps. Hopefully by that time there will be an 'affordable' GPU that can push it as well!

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I understand 4k on 45+ inch TV's but why bother with 30? The PPI is going to be way overkill at that point even if you sit as close as you are to your cell phone. No use for 4K on 32" TV. Not so sharp now eh?

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]I understand 4k on 45+ inch TV's but why bother with 30? The PPI is going to be way overkill at that point even if you sit as close as you are to your cell phone. No use for 4K on 32" TV. Not so sharp now eh?[/citation]
Monitors, not TVs. You're going to be sitting much closer. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that resolution on a 32" monitor is around 78 PPI? Hardly overkill. Still way under the 300+ PPI of smartphones nowadays.

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I guess this is why we're stuck with $130 HD 1080p monitors, no one has a clue. To those wondering why you would every want such a "crazy" resolution on only a 32" monitor I'm saddened. This is less than 140ppi which is way less than almost any phone you've ever seen. The original iPhone was 160ppi. The original iPad was 130ppi. My 10 year old CRT monitor is 150ppi. Most HD monitors are 76-90ppi. I'm with mman74 and want a 27" version. That would at least be 160ppi.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]And correct me if I'm wrong, but that resolution on a 32" monitor is around 78 PPI? Hardly overkill.[/citation]Sorry, I looked at my figures wrong. I think it's actually around 140-150 PPI. Still, less than half of current smartphones. Of course, monitors don't need as high a PPI as a smartphone since it'll usually be farther away, but going from well under 100 PPI to ~150 PPI is not overkill. The only issue is getting the prices to reasonable and having GPUs that can push all those pixels.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Good that its progressing, but I'm not impressed.Apple's 13" Retina display is 2560x1600. Scale that up to 26" and you get 5120x3200.THAT would be impressive.[/citation]

You mean LG's displays that Apple use in the product...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]...Apple's 13" Retina display...[/citation]

You do know that Apple doesn't make a friggin' display ?
They buy stuff from one vendor and then have another supplier slap it together.
Virtually non if it creating US jobs ( as they are soooo expensive); but then we end up with a product priced as if it was assembled in the US not by regular workers but by Engineers and PHD graduates.

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I so need one of these Sharp 4K monitors.

The high DPI would probably compensate for the horrible blurry font rendering in IE 10 and Office 2013 on Windows 8.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well if the price is near 2K, maybe... I am a fraid that this will cost near 5K-6K... But in couple of years you can get this as cheap as 2000$ to 3000$ and after that the 1500-2000$ may be possible...
But nice monitor to have :) Definitely want to have one if the picture quality is par with resolution. That reamains to be seing.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Good that its progressing, but I'm not impressed.Apple's 13" Retina display is 2560x1600. Scale that up to 26" and you get 5120x3200.THAT would be impressive.[/citation]

I think that the common consensus is that you don't need 300ppi at the distance most people view monitors from. Just guessing, I think 200ppi would be very nice...and 150+ acceptable/a notable improvement to the 112ppi I'm currently rocking.

mrmez

Splendid

OMG, really????
Next thing you'll tell me is that Steve Jobs didn't grow the crystals in his parents basement for Apples' chips????

No fuk. So how far should I go to give credit?

Apple don't make them, LG do. Fine, but why give LG credit when it was team of engineers and scientists that designed the panel, that was made by machines designed by some other guy, made by another guy, which are used in a factory designed, assembled and run by others again. But why give them credit, when LG didn't even invent LCD panels.
In fact, Apple don't make any any of their products, so why don't they call it a "Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd 4S Phone"?

Seriously, how far back should I give credit?

Especially since my point is simply.... pixel densities are readily available that far exceed this, simply making something bigger doesn't impress me.

Status
Not open for further replies.