Question Sharp HDMI (Intel Display Audio)

May 18, 2022
Not sure how to begin. I got rid of my very very old Core 2 Duo E8400 PC.

I replaced it with a still very old I7-4770 which includes Intel 4600 on board graphics. Given the newer system, I decided to connect my Sharp LC-52D85U LCD TV by HDMI instead of DVI and to use the HDMI for sound instead of SPDIF. The sound now goes to the TV by HDMI and connects to my Yamaha HTR-6130 surround sound system by Toslink.

Everything is perfect. EXCEPT ...

When I turn the TV off for more than 60 seconds (I hear a click on TV), then turn it back on, the Sharp HDMI (Intell Display Audio) shown in the photo below disappears and sound goes back to my CPU speakers.

The same probem happens when I go from using the HMDI input on the TV to broadcast OTA TV.

View: https://imgur.com/KZ18wss

I have looked everywhere .. contacted Intel and Sharp.. Desperate for Ideas. If I could simply get the HDMI sound device to stop disappearing I think things might reconnect and work properly like they do at the onset. I have updated Intel drivers using the newest ones available as well as the most recent ones they put out for gen 4 systems and that did not help.

Cory.../

Last edited:
I decided to connect my Sharp LC-52D85U LCD TV by HDMI instead of DVI and to use the HDMI for sound instead of SPDIF. The sound now goes to the TV by HDMI and connects to my Yamaha HTR-6130 surround sound system by Toslink.

Desperate for Ideas.
Personally I would just connect the computer to the Yamaha by Toslink and the TV to the Yamaha by Toslink and change the input on the Yamaha depending on which source I was using. Would this not work?

May 18, 2022
No Toslink out of the CPU motherboarad (ASUS B85M-G ) that included this i7 4770. I could go back to using S/PDIF (coax or toslink) by adding a card like this to the MB as the pins to connect it are there.

I was however trying to move myself into this century given newer machines don't allow for one of these cards depeding on the MB (specifically I have found nothing like this for Dell MB that lack Toslink.

My next old CPU will pehaps be an Optiplex 3050 and I was trying to find solutions that would work for that one right now (hence my wanting to use HDMI).

91nedXFQfcL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2022
I just noted another thing that might help diagnose.

If I turn computer on when HDMI input is on broadcast OTA TV, the computer equally does not have "Sharp HDMI" (Intel Display Audio) in the selection of playback devices.

It is however there if the TV is off when I turn on the computer even if its set to HDMI input. Powering up the TV makes it diappear as noted in my original post.

I just noted another thing that might help diagnose.

If I turn computer on when HDMI input is on broadcast OTA TV, the computer equally does not have "Sharp HDMI" (Intel Display Audio) in the selection of playback devices.

It is however there if the TV is off when I turn on the computer even if its set to HDMI input. Powering up the TV makes it diappear as noted in my original post.
Sorry I forgot to google the motherboard you mentioned. When you mentioned the cpu I was thinking of my own setup which is an Asus H97i with 4770S cpu which does have a toslink output. The next thing I would ask is how much are you using the PC speakers and digital output. On my setup I have all the other outputs that I don't use Disabled so there's only 1 output and no unexpected switching between them. If you could Disable your other outputs that might help.

Reactions: Cory Charron
May 18, 2022
Was worth a shot.. but did not work.

I disabled sound devices other than HDMI Audio and when I changed input source on the TV to broadcast TV, the HDMI Audio disappeared. Since the system had no other options there was no sound. Tried the troubleshooter, but it could not find any devices (aka the missing HDMI).

The problem is HDMI audio diappears despite its existance. Cannot figure out why

View: https://imgur.com/a/daUeXo2

Last edited: