Sharp Sampling 4K IGZO Displays for 15.6-inch Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
What is the purpose of this? There are not mobile GPUs that can currently support gaming at 4K resolution...

Next we will be seeing 4K on phones... As if the clarity between a 720P and 1080P wasn't already baseline indistinguishable by the human eye...

Geef

Distinguished
Pretty soon won't need digital projectors for movie theaters. Just a laptop with a projector on the other side. The dude with the laptop can play the movie and surf the web all at the same time. :p

InvalidError

Titan

Why does it always have to be about gaming? There are many uses for laptops aside from that and I bet the majority of them are used for non-gaming purposes just like the majority of desktops are also used for non-gaming purposes. Last time I remember seeing numbers about it, computers sold for gaming accounted for less than 10% of retail sales.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Video and photo editing is also out of the question on a laptop.That leaves what? Watching videos? Higher resolutions mean greater viewing area on the desktop which equates to smaller font sizes at any given screen size. I suppose they should include a pair of glasses with magnification as well :)

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

actually, it's quite easy for me to tell the difference between a 1080p phone and a 720p phone.
But that's not the point. Very, very soon they're gonna run into a brick wall as far as advancing mobile displays go. After a flexible 1080p screen, what more could you want in a phone?
Where as on the desktop, there's so much more to improve on and they just won't do it.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hold your 300+ppi phone up next to your PC monitor and you'll see the difference. Even from a couple feet back the difference is huge. I'm not sure it's something that is "needed" but it sure looks good.

If you've ever used a Chromebook Pixel or Retina MP you know what I'm talking about. Looking at those screens is pure joy.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Programming would be good at 4K resolution if you have amazing eyesight :)
1920x1200 displays work decently well for Eclipse and Visual Studio though they'd work better w/ 4:3 displays which no one makes any more :p

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Imagine a 15.6" 4K notebook, next to your 120" 4k TV, next to your 30" 4K monitor... What a setup.

All I can imagine is my 4k 15.6" notebook, 120" 4k TV, 5" 4k cellphone, and my 24" 1900x1200 monitor...

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Hah.

G

As nice as it sounds, but won't this resolution be too much for a 15.4" monitor, outside of movie/gaming/workstation environment? Word processing at such a high res might be a bit too much or even web surfing. Or am I missing something?

magzen

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
A great thing about the Igzo display is that it will cut energy with 80-90%, this will be great for smartphones, instead of charging daily you will charge maybe once each 4-5 days which would be great, and good in general foe energy bills.

InvalidError

Titan

Not really.

IGZO may have faster pixel switching speed and lower pixel activation energy but that accounts for only a small fraction of total display power. Combined with IGZO's better light transmission, the complete panel including backlight is only ~20% more power-efficient since the bulk of the LCD's power goes to the backlight... and at least 83% of that light gets wasted somewhere between the LEDs and the liquid crystal matrix even under ideal circumstances.

If you want power-efficient displays, you need OLED, SED or other similar emissive technology that does not rely on wasteful filters and polarized arrays: direct emission is 6X as power-efficient as an ideal backlit LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.