Sharp Starts Production of 5-inch 1080p Smartphones LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
wow, 5 inch 1080p? is that really necessary? kinda a waste to me. unless you're gonna constantly be looking at it with a magnifying glass i don't think you'll be able to tell the difference.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
This is actually great news. Why do you need 1080p on a 5inch display, well for one your noise is right in the screen so you do see the pixels in the screens on the market today. If you hold the screen 18 inches from your face, you might not see the pixels on a 5 inch scree.

I am still looking for a 24inch LCD that is multi touch,with the pixel density of 443ppi (1900x1080) every 5 inches.

And don't say....."why would you need that on a 24 inch monitor" that is like asking people if they drive a model T as their daily driver in 2012.

On a more serious note, a 24 inch screen with 443ppi will be useful for the following: Photographers and Video Editors. If people have not heard about 4k video that is going to be replacing 1080P HD in the next 5-10 years, we will need large screens that support more than 1900x1080.

So the "who needs it" is really pointless......... Do you still use a standard def tv every day now?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
The kids are at work again marking everything that makes sense negative, Its a wonder they don't have admin's on these comment lists to take care of the problem people.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]The kids are at work again marking everything that makes sense negative, Its a wonder they don't have admin's on these comment lists to take care of the problem people.[/citation]

Nothing wrong with marking, everyone is entitled to an opinion. While what you are saying is somewhat correct, the point is its more of a marketing gimmick at the moment than anything else. I am sure it has huge potential and use in near future but for the moment - current phones and tablets simply don't need it. Still.. the more innovation and competition the faster the progress. If that's what you were aiming at.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]This is actually great news...Photographers and Video Editors....[/citation]

If you'd get thumbs down for your opinion on say Yahoo.com I'd understand.
But on a tech site like THG you'd think the readers are a bit more open to "new and improved".

We do a lot of Photography and Video Editing for clients and yes, 4k is getting closer than you may think. Check out http://www.red.com.
The cameras cost a fraction of what you paid for an ENG camera in the 1980s.
4k players are already on sale in Japan !

So yes, it is high time to get affordable monitors that go beyond 1920x1080 !

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
1080p could be nice on larger tablets, and the added detail is nice but really with 720 p on a 5 inch device i doubt many people could tell the difference between it and 1080p, and more pixels to power means a more powerful gpu and more power needed to power them both, still that said its cool tech and i would love to have it just because :)

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Great improvement, useless to me though ( well, anything above about 250ppi is pretty useless to me ). Refresh rates and sunlight visibility are more to my interests.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Smartphones and Tablets optimum resolutions:

800x480 or 1280x800 is fine for 5" LCD's.
1080p (1920x1080) is great for 7" or larger LCD's.
2048x1536 seems to work fine for 9.7" (iPad 3)
2560x1440 would be perfect for anything 11" or more.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]This is actually great news. Why do you need 1080p on a 5inch display, well for one your noise is right in the screen so you do see the pixels in the screens on the market today. If you hold the screen 18 inches from your face, you might not see the pixels on a 5 inch scree.I am still looking for a 24inch LCD that is multi touch,with the pixel density of 443ppi (1900x1080) every 5 inches.And don't say....."why would you need that on a 24 inch monitor" that is like asking people if they drive a model T as their daily driver in 2012.On a more serious note, a 24 inch screen with 443ppi will be useful for the following: Photographers and Video Editors. If people have not heard about 4k video that is going to be replacing 1080P HD in the next 5-10 years, we will need large screens that support more than 1900x1080.So the "who needs it" is really pointless......... Do you still use a standard def tv every day now?[/citation]

yea... no... 4k will not replace 1080p for a long, long time. you have to relize that most people will not see the difference between 1080p and 4k aside from aspect ratio from a normal viewing distance.

hell, i have a 24 inch 1920x1200 display, im about 2 feet away and i cant see pixles, lets say you upgraded it to a density of 400+ ppi, i honestly dont think i could see the difference for normal computer use. hell, even high end gaming, the textures and meshes just aren't high enough quality yet to justify that.

sure i want a 2560x1600 monitor, but i also want it to be 30 inches.

sure photographers could use a higher ppi, but video editors... no, they would use multi monitor, its hard to explain the why, but its about user interface... use blender, and imagine if all those options were just out there normally for a video editing program. you need more real estate, not smaller and smaller menus.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If you'd get thumbs down for your opinion on say Yahoo.com I'd understand.But on a tech site like THG you'd think the readers are a bit more open to "new and improved".We do a lot of Photography and Video Editing for clients and yes, 4k is getting closer than you may think. Check out http://www.red.com.The cameras cost a fraction of what you paid for an ENG camera in the 1980s.4k players are already on sale in Japan !So yes, it is high time to get affordable monitors that go beyond 1920x1080 ![/citation]
my understanding is that a camera must meet broadcast standards, and those standards put cameras in the 50k+ range, even when prosumer cameras can arguably get you better quality over all. from what i saw on red, and yes i knew about them before the mention, was that they have a section for tv shows shot on red, and all of them i beleive are major networks, people who can spend 50k on a tv show and not have to think twice about it. many local networks, prior to going hd, used cameras that are older than many people who visit this site.

the leap from pre hd to hd in video quality was apparent from the start, however, from 1080p to 4k... it just isnt...

you also have to factor in people HATE black bars on tv shows, but with 16:9 its tollarable, could you imagine watching a 4:3 show on a 4k ratio? and i mean movie 4k not 4k at a 16:9

for most people, unless 1080p and 4k are about the same price, i cant see them move to 4k even when their tvs die, unless they got the 80inch+ tvs.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Be0wulf22[/nom]What is all this talk of 4k having a different aspect ratio? From what I gather from wikipedia, 4k = 3840 x 2160 which is still 16:9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution[/citation]
Perhaps Apple will try to "innovate" the 4K market and put it on one of their iPads, but stay non-widescreen, wasting all those pixels on black bars when you watch movies...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't know what's up with the thumbs down on the comments. 443 DPI is past the ability of the human eye to perceive. At best most people can only perceive up to about 300 DPI (which is the resolution most books are printed at.

This is just a gimmick to separate fools from their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.