[SOLVED] Shattered pin on GTX 1070

Apr 13, 2021
Whenever I go from fullscreen to the home page using the Windows key, the entire screen goes black. I've tried everything I could to fix it and I think it might be because the very last pin on my GPU is broken.

Solution
Please list your computer components
Please post a picture of you "broken pin"
Are you only experiencing this issue when using the windows key or does it happen at other times?

To me this sounds like a driver issue to be honest.
Try these steps before doing what I asked above.

It seems likely that this is a software issue or it's not likely that you would get to windows at all.
Please list your computer components
Please post a picture of you "broken pin"
Are you only experiencing this issue when using the windows key or does it happen at other times?

To me this sounds like a driver issue to be honest.
Try these steps before doing what I asked above.

It seems likely that this is a software issue or it's not likely that you would get to windows at all.

Solution

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Try this, and reboot after you finish:

1. Launch Task manager

Press the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] keys on the keyboard at the same time, or right click the Taskbar, and select Task manager.

2. Run a new Windows task

When the Task manager window opens, click the More details option to expand it, then select Run new task from the File menu.

3. Run Windows PowerShell

When the Run new task dialog box opens, type powershell, tick the box for Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.

4. Run the System File Checker

Type sfc /scannow into the window and press the [Return] key. The scan may take some time and will end with one of three results. Windows did not find any integrity violations and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them mean there are now no corrupt files, but Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.

In this latter case, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Try this, and reboot after you finish:

1. Launch Task manager

Press the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] keys on the keyboard at the same time, or right click the Taskbar, and select Task manager.

2. Run a new Windows task

When the Task manager window opens, click the More details option to expand it, then select Run new task from the File menu.

3. Run Windows PowerShell

When the Run new task dialog box opens, type powershell, tick the box for Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.

4. Run the System File Checker

Type sfc /scannow into the window and press the [Return] key. The scan may take some time and will end with one of three results. Windows did not find any integrity violations and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them mean there are now no corrupt files, but Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.

In this latter case, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

i tried this when my start button wouldn't click, but it does a system scan, and might figure out your problem.