Shield Remote GameStream: How Far Will You Go to Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
This is what Oculus Rift should look at in terms of features, connectivity (wireless and internet), software support and pricing. After all, the hardware of Oculus is even less than the hardware in Shield (think processor, battery, gamepad, fan).

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I may have wanted the shield but sadly the half baked streaming software only works on half the gpu's the half that is not amd nor older nvidea cars and as a 7950 owner I cannot use it. Stupid Nvidea vendor locking. This folks is why I don't buy nvidea stuff.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I may have wanted the shield but sadly the half baked streaming software only works on half the gpu's the half that is not amd nor older nvidea cars and as a 7950 owner I cannot use it. Stupid Nvidea vendor locking. This folks is why I don't buy nvidea stuff.

Gamestream uses dedicated video processing hardware found only in kepler/maxwell gpu's. That's not to say it couldn't be brought to modern GCN cards but can you really expect AMD and Nvidia to work together on that?

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

*First Sentence-Run on
*GPUs
*AMD
*Nvidia
*cards

Please use proper spelling if you're going to make a compelling argument. It is correctly spelled Nvidia. Also, your grammar and punctuation was "half baked." Also, calling a huge corporation "Stupid"
isn't very professional. Also, refusing to buy Nvidia seems butthurt and fanboyist.

Your argument however is invalid. Do you expect a Pentium 4 and Windows XP to render 4K video? No, because the power and technology just isn't there. AMD cards don't have the specific encoder built in, same as older Nvidia cards.

If you're serious about Shield (It's lots of fun) buy a GTX 760 (~$250) and the Shield. Sell your 7950 to a miner.

G

Impressive though the technical specs maybe, what I'd like to see with this is some kind of goggles instead of that tiny screen. I mean PC games are made for being played at much larger screens, esp. RPGs and RTSs, where there are a lot of tiny numbers (gold, xp, damage, etc.). Even in tactical FPSs, where enemies might be hiding behind cover, and even normally you could only see the tops of their heads, would be nearly impossible to detect on a very small screen size. So while the techie inside me says the remote play feature is pretty cool, the gamer in me is like "meh".

starmajoris

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Yep EU is great on that regard. I had 24MB in 2008 already, 100MB is common if you're willing to pay around 40 Euros and data caps don't exist at all since 2006.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
These download speeds are impressive, meanwhile in the US we sit here with an average of 15-35MB download...

shit i wish, in the US the average is 2.5 Mbps which is god awful compared to other countries. You can blame lawmakers and the FCC for their duo-opoly rules and non-regulation of USA internet

sharkyh20

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
In Australia I pay $100 a month for 200GB of 15Mb down and 0.88 Mb up. Can I get a free ticket to the USA, preferably Kansas?

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Shame most people have horrid upload speeds, great tho nvidia are on the right path to awesomeness as this is the future along side oculus rift.

While mobile devices and pc hardware are so far and wide technologically, you gotta ask is our home internet on a global level that ancient.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Wireless fast internet seems the last foundation for people technologically advanced in politically biased world on whats appropriate.

If someone said no internet, Wouldn't it be great if politicians had no form of income while in politics, but based on performance will receive the income at the end of their term or no severance pay then maybe people would appreciate politics a bit more.
Bureaucratic governments know better then citizens on whats best.

2080 on a global level internet speeds will be a thing of the past, that is.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Gamestream uses dedicated video processing hardware found only in kepler/maxwell gpu's. That's not to say it couldn't be brought to modern GCN cards but can you really expect AMD and Nvidia to work together on that?

Actually, on a hardware level, the AMD cards do have the necessary hardware to be able to run with Gamestream. But as you said, Nvidia will not work with the competition (Cuda, Physx, shield, etc). Hopefully an open source version of the service will come out so that you can root your Shield and be able to use your choice of hardware.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Open alternatives that allow you to stream to mobile devices are already available. To my knowledge none of them work very well. In fact it might be more appropriate to say they just plain suck by comparison. Splashtop is one such example, you have a much wider range of hardware options, but you get a comparatively inferior streaming experience.

Linus did a comparison with a 'ghetto shield' a couple months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNh0ZAwsIkI

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If there´s a lot of people who buy the shield just for the game streaming, nvidia should better develop a device just to stream games to android base devices and tvs

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Actually I was thinking Stream My Game which I tinkered with about 6 months ago and seemed to work fine ... http://www.streammygame.com/

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Mobile platform support? If not then how is this relevant to the discussion about open alternatives to Shield?

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Are you referring to mobile as in ARM support only? Any mobile tablet running an x86 cpu and windows would be able to use the program. Only thing preventing other platforms from supporting the program is the company releasing an ARM/android version of it. Anyways, the discussion was about being able to stream a game with an AMD because they "lack" the dedicated video processing power. I was just citing an example where it is an option.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I think it's become pretty common to refer to smartphone and tablet form factors as 'mobile', regardless of the architecture or platform used inside. It's just far more common to find ARM architectures in those form factors right now due to TDP constraints and platform maturity. So no, I'm not saying ARM support only, but when we're commenting on an article about an ARM based game streaming device, and discussing mobile streaming alternatives with wider hardware support, I don't think it's nearly as relevant to cite an example that doesn't provide support for ARM based platforms. And amongst the more open alternatives with ARM platform support, Nvidia provides by far the most compelling experience. That's basically all I was saying. I mean it would be like providing an example that only supports ARM platforms in an article/discussion about game streaming to laptops.

I also don't think there are any Windows 8 mobile devices on the market right now that could be used as an alternative to Shield (I don't think 10"+ tablets compete for the same market or could be used in the same ways). You make it sound really trivial, but I think the example I provided highlights some of the problems with existing alternatives. It's not easy to do mobile game streaming well, even on closed platforms like Shield and gamestream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS