[SOLVED] Shielded Cat6A cable wired in B configuration not working ?

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, fellows I just moved and I'm wiring up my new home office for cat6A, and I've finished the connections for 4 of the 8 cables I need to run, but they aren't working. I wired the shielded cat6A with a 33X6-520 110 punch down Cat6A Keystone

https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/network-phone/keystones/product-33x6-520.php

and the Cat6A cabling is

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Micro-Conn...STP-Bulk-Ethernet-26AWG-Cable-Blue/5000887113

and I've wired it up to the B configuration, I've doubled checked both ends to make sure they are wired correctly and they are. you see I have 8 connections running from my home office 4 to the living room and then another 4 to the will be going to the bed room that I haven't connected yet ,so I only have 4 connected at the moment from the living room. so when I connect either cat5 e or cat 6 from the cable modem to the roughter I get a connection. but if I connect the roughter to the cat6A via a cat5e or 6 and connect a device such as the pc using cat5e or cat6 running through the cat6A I get nothing. I'm tired so please forgive me if this gets confusing. in simple terms if i connect everything running cat5e and cat 6 and use wifi I can connect. but if I try to connect from the roughter to the cat6A to cat5e to pc or switch I have no connection. I thought all of the cables were backwards compatible. I guess not. I have ordered 4 3ft cat6A cables to make a complete cat6A connection. instead of running cat5e to cat6A to Cat5e etc. I hope thats the issue. the only other thing I can think of is a break in the line but 4 lines having a break seems unlikely. I though of wiring so thats why I doubled checked my work , or it could be faulty keystone jacks. and is there a way to reuse keystone jacks or are they trashed onces they've been terminated. they didn't teach me that in school. I don't fool a lot with network wiring creation, I'm mostly in software and hardware repair.

and for testing purposes can I use a cat5e keystone jack on cat6A I wanted to use Cat6A for future proofing. but if I can get cat5 e keystones to work I will cut the cat6A keystones off and rewire them. I would hate to have to pull all that cable.

Last edited:
I hate shielded cable it is so hard to work with and provides no benefit in most installation in houses.

The main thing I see is you are using stranded cable. This requires different rj45 plugs. What is strange is the description very clearly says stranded cable but it also says solid core copper.

I am not sure if they make different punch down blocks. You are not suppose to run stranded cable inside walls it is to be used for the final patch cords to the end equipment.

Solid copper cables the connectors cut the side of the insulation and make contact with the sides of the wire. Stranded connectors also pierce the middle and make contact with the middle.

I really don't know about this since I have always followed the rules to not use stranded cable in walls and have always just purchased patch cables that had stranded wires because I didn't want to keep different rj45 ends laying around and getting them mixed up.

A cheap ethernet testing tool will likely give you some good clues if you are getting proper contact with the wire.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
I hate shielded cable it is so hard to work with and provides no benefit in most installation in houses.

The main thing I see is you are using stranded cable. This requires different rj45 plugs. What is strange is the description very clearly says stranded cable but it also says solid core copper.

I am not sure if they make different punch down blocks. You are not suppose to run stranded cable inside walls it is to be used for the final patch cords to the end equipment.

Solid copper cables the connectors cut the side of the insulation and make contact with the sides of the wire. Stranded connectors also pierce the middle and make contact with the middle.

I really don't know about this since I have always followed the rules to not use stranded cable in walls and have always just purchased patch cables that had stranded wires because I didn't want to keep different rj45 ends laying around and getting them mixed up.

A cheap ethernet testing tool will likely give you some good clues if you are getting proper contact with the wire.
hello, what I had to do when wiring the cable is run it outside along the outer wall and anchor it to the house. stranded rj45 jack, I thought they were the same. could you recommend one, plus could you recommend a testing tool
for two female end connections.

You can just search network cable testing on amazon they are about $10. They are pretty basic but will ensure you have good wire connections on both ends. Now if you have a extra $1000 you can get fluke meters that will tell the exact length of the cables etc etc.

In addition to you having stranded wire the wire is only 26 gauge. That is only really allowed for patch cords. It should work as long as you are not trying to go 100 meter limit. Be very sure the jacks and patch panels you are using accept wire that small. Most are designed for the more standard 22-24 gauge wire.

Reactions: HaizRail007

kanewolf

Titan
Solution

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
For a reasonable priced tester, I recommend -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CI9NRM/
Thank you for your suggestion, I went over to lowes this morning and bought a tester it was a little high, but I was able to determine that the cat6A cable was broken somewhere in the 500 foot run. once I found this out I contacted lowes and they said I could return it, so I pulled all of it and returned it. I bought cat5e to replace it, all that lowes had, but it should do just fine. it just means I'm going to have to run faster cable sooner than planed.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your suggestion, I went over to lowes this morning and bought a tester it was a little high, but I was able to determine that the cat6A cable was broken somewhere in the 500 foot run. once I found this out I contacted lowes and they said I could return it, so I pulled all of it and returned it. I bought cat5e to replace it, all that lowes had, but it should do just fine. it just means I'm going to have to run faster cable sooner than planed.
328ft is the spec maximum length for ethernet.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
ok fellows, thanks for the replies, I haven't finished wiring up the cat5e up yet, however, from the home office to the living room is wired and working perfect. it amazes me that the cat6A was faulty I guess they didn't run a check on it after it was rolled up and packaged. I wasted 2 1/2 days of work over faulty wire. Well at least lowes took it back. Moreover, I knew they made testers to test patch cables but I was unsure if thoughs testers would work on a home made patch panel. anyways, thanks for the help.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
For a reasonable priced tester, I recommend -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CI9NRM/

I wanted to make one last reply back and update everyone on the final situation. I took back the cat6a to lowes and bought cat5e instead, because that what lowes had, of course I had to buy new connectors as well. Moreover, I wired my home office to my living room and bedrooms and have all my devices running to one network switch which is connected to a synology rt2600ac router , This will allow me to monitor my entire network from my office and control what type of content is viewable on each device. in addition, I'm glade I bought the network tester because I found two bad cat5e RJ45 terminals in the packs I had bought, so I had to cut and rewire them, after that was done I tested my network and all of my connections on the entire network is good, and I'm 50 to 75 Mbps faster on my download speeds than what I'm paying for, so all is good in my book. Nevertheless, I thank all of yall for your help and god bless you all.