Shift Key Constantly Depressed - Can't Log into PC?

Edit_Hax

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
So my friend had a Windows 10 update last night. This morning, when he went to log into his computer, it seemed like his Shift key was constantly pressed down. He's tried other keyboards, including on-screen keyboard, but he just can't type numbers.

He can make letters lowercase by holding shift or turning caps lock on, but he can't turn numbers back from symbols to numbers. His numpad also seems to be completely disabled, NumLock or not.

All responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
And if you are going to remove the CMOS battery, also unplug the computer from the wall socket. Leave the battery out for 5 or 10 minutes. There may also be "reset BIOS" pins on the motherboard. In that case you would move the jumper to the appropriate pins (check motherboard manual).

Deathcon51

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I believe "INS" should be enabled (not 100% positive on that, don't pay much attention to it :p). You can try to use the on-screen keyboard to log in for additional settings in Control Panel.

Edit_Hax

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

Like I said previously, he can't log in with the on-screen keyboard. Shift still remains depressed and there's no way he can log in because his password requires numbers.

Deathcon51

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I'm sorry, I must have missed that.

- Try holding both Left Shift Key and Right Shift Key for a few seconds
- Press the Left Shift Key several times (as if you were to enable sticky keys)
- Try holding down the function "fn" key, then press a number
- Remove the CMOS battery (since it stores settings, etc)

Have you tried restarting the computer?

Edit_Hax

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

He tried everything except removing the CMOS battery. He doesn't know much about computers so I'm hesitant to ask him to do that. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Deathcon51

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Ok, but if you do want to remove the CMOS battery, just make sure you're grounded. Touch something that will shock you (release of static electricity), don't wear anything that will create static, get off carpet, then you should be fine.

And if you are going to remove the CMOS battery, also unplug the computer from the wall socket. Leave the battery out for 5 or 10 minutes. There may also be "reset BIOS" pins on the motherboard. In that case you would move the jumper to the appropriate pins (check motherboard manual).

Solution