Question Shiny part under IHS??

mantinziza

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012
So I can't for the life of me figure out the name of the part.

I de lidded my processor on an old I7 3770k intel, and when I was checking it over I accidentally dropped it and the copper IHS I put on popped off, woops.

Took a look at it looks fine no major cracks no bends, I couldn't see any issues on the first go over. So I went to put it back together and when I was about to reapply my thermal material.

I noticed small hair like fractures,

it's only noticeable the right angle from a light source, a bunch of super tiny hair line fractures running from one end of the shiny part to the other, kinda like a small tiny broken mirror but still holding together you can't barely even feel them with your nail but it is noticeable if you really take your time to run your nail across it. you can only see them on the right angle and I did play around with it a little and everything's solid, no loose pieces or small fragments about to fall off.

So I put it back together and I'm waiting a lil while for it too set. Any way should these "hair line fractures", on the shiny part under the Ihs be a concern? I would just try to to fire it up but I don't want to fry my motherboard or have something stupid happen do to heat and cooling expansion. ugh I cant believe I dropped it.....

I would have a photo if the camera could pick of the fractures but they don't show up in a picture. I mean these cracks are TINY, but theres alot of em

Thank you all for your time.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
The shiny part is called the die, and it contains all of the transistors of the processor. I'm terribly sorry, but it sounds likely to be broken. You can try to use it, but I wouldn't have high hopes.

mantinziza

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012
well Ill find out in about an hour, thanks for your answer. If it's broke, well at least it isnt a super modern day processor, just sucks because i was really excited about getting my computer back up and running and the rest of the parts I needed got here just today..... Oh thankyou bad luck fairy, I'll never delid with my cat's in the room ever again.

mantinziza

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012
oh its broken, but oddly enough I was able to use it to help me frame in an old I5 that i de lidded, made it easier to check the direct contacts without worrying about scrwing up a good part, lol i had lieing around with out having to worry about screwing that one up, kinda stinks i lost about 1gig on each core but at least im still running. Time to start researching a modern build, and thankyou for the help