[SOLVED] Shipping my PC to Japan from the UK, any advice?

Sep 27, 2018
Hi everybody!

So as in the title, I'm moving to Japan soon and I want to take my tower with me as it's pretty new still and I can't afford to buy a new one out there.

My check-in baggage limit is already going to be taken up with all the other stuff I'm going to need to start work out there, so my current plan is:

1) Remove the GPU, HDD and RAM from the PC and put that in my hand luggage to take with me.

2) Pack the hell out of the interior of the case with Styrofoam, bubble wrap and cardboard.

3) Put the case back in it's original box and ship that via parcel force or something.

4) Put it back together in Japan.

OR

1) Remove the GPU, HDD and RAM from the PC and put that in my hand luggage to take with me.

2) Pack the hell out of the interior of the case with Styrofoam, bubble wrap and cardboard.

3) Pay for an extra check-in suitcase and put the case in there.

Mainly worried about two things:

A) My flight has a layover in Shanghai and I'm worried about security having an issue with something from my hand
luggage and confiscating it - is that likely ? or am I being paranoid? At the airports in the UK and Japan I can explain
what they are, but I won't be able to do that in Shanghai as I can't speak Chinese.

B) Are shipping companies usually careful with stuff like this? Has anyone shipped their tower internationally and
can recommend a company for this?

Solution
Put the whole thing as is into the case box , every space filled with dampening materials, a brief description of contents on the waybill and ship by company recommended by the local jap embassy .Insure it at a value that replaces it. I would likely carry the drives on me. Anything else can be replaced under insurance.
Put the whole thing as is into the case box , every space filled with dampening materials, a brief description of contents on the waybill and ship by company recommended by the local jap embassy .Insure it at a value that replaces it. I would likely carry the drives on me. Anything else can be replaced under insurance.

Solution