Shipping Pc Overseas

SintelUK

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hey guys, soon ill be shipping my pc, and the pc only, not monitor or keyboard etc, to my girlfriend overseas. I have a corsair air 540 case and the original box for it i was hoping to ship the system in. Would it be okay if I remove the gpu and put it in an anti static sleeve, wrap it in bubble wrap and then put inside the case and fill the remaining space with more bubble wrap so it doesnt move about too much during shipping? Same for SSD and HDD as those are mounted in the tool less caddies in the front.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I would almost give the same treatment to the HDD as you did the GPU for fear of any hard jarring causing the head to crash into the disk platters. No guarantees though on anything though since depending on your shipping provider they may find a way to break it anyway. Make sure to get the shipping insurance on it if it is offered.

SintelUK

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I will be wrapping the HDD and SSD in bubble wrap also, im just wondering if this is okay to do as I dont have the box for the gpu or another means to ship it outside of the box for the system. As for shipping provider i'll be using FedEx.

joex444

Distinguished
I would discourage you from shipping the GPU, HDD, and SSD wrapped in bubble wrap and stored inside the PC case inside the original PC case box. You would really need to pack the space full with bubble wrap so that nothing can move. Still, in shipping things will settle. The general rule for shipping things to see if it's OK or not is to package it up then drop it from 3 feet and see what happens. I'm not sure I'd want to try that, so I would ship the GPU and HDD separately in a lot of bubble wrap and a tight fitting box. If something breaks by shipping everything together it's going to cost more than the cost to ship a second package, plus you're paying for the extra weight even when you combine it so the savings may not be all that much compared to the risk.

Most importantly, you should remove the heatsink and wrap that up too. The SSD I actually don't think needs to be wrapped, you could just tape the toolless caddy to the inside of the case and it shouldn't go anywhere. It's solid state so you don't have to worry about vibration.

Also make sure the wiring is good and secure with some zip ties if you didn't already do that. Loose cables can cause scratches in shipping.

Depending on which country you're shipping to, you may also want to encrypt your storage first.

SintelUK

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I'd be shipping from the uk to greece, and theres no heatsink to remove im using a h100i. Got no idea where i'd find a box to put everything together in so i was just going to do what i suggested in the original post.

Miruso

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Take a good care especialy of GPU and HDD as those parts are to most fragile i belive. Do you have a custom CPU cooler? If you do, i would disassemble it aswell just to be sure. In case of tranport provider i would look on http://clicktrans.com/ to find someone reliable for this task. Probably you will save some cash as well. Also remember about styfofoam, because PC cases can bend really easily