i'm having trouble viewing avi files.
everytime i open a folder when it's in 'thumbnail' view and contains avi
files, win explorer "encounters an error and needs to close".
after doing some searching (about 2 weeks worth-no bull). i've tried:
1. cancelling the preview using the command prompt command=no luck
2. replacing the divx.dll and shmedia.dll at separate times=no luck
3. downloaded divx 6 player and codec pack=allowed me to play files with the
new divx player unlike the old one
4. opening folders with avi files in anything other than 'thumbnail' view=no
error message until i try to play the avi file with any program

i believe it's a corrupt shmedia.dll file {version 6.00.2900.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)}

someone please help!!!
--
Learning more every day!

You may need to update your decoder for your viewer or video card's decoder..
What video card do you use?

See if your decoders are supported:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en

j;-)

"surveyranger" wrote:

> i'm having trouble viewing avi files.
> everytime i open a folder when it's in 'thumbnail' view and contains avi
> files, win explorer "encounters an error and needs to close".
> after doing some searching (about 2 weeks worth-no bull). i've tried:
> 1. cancelling the preview using the command prompt command=no luck
> 2. replacing the divx.dll and shmedia.dll at separate times=no luck
> 3. downloaded divx 6 player and codec pack=allowed me to play files with the
> new divx player unlike the old one
> 4. opening folders with avi files in anything other than 'thumbnail' view=no
> error message until i try to play the avi file with any program
>
> i believe it's a corrupt shmedia.dll file {version 6.00.2900.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)}
>
> someone please help!!!
> --
> Learning more every day!

the decoder came out alright, and it only checked the mpeg-2 not the avi.

the video card is the original one when i got the computer in apr 2003:
Dell Dimension 2350
P4 2Ghz
768MB ram
Built-in Graphics Card: intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV

the problem is recent. i still had sp1, and the problem started after i
downloaded some updates. then after looking and trying, i backed up the hdd
and installed sp2 thinking maybe it was a compatibility issue. well, that
didn't solve anything.

i'm pretty sure it's the preview because it only does it when the avi file
is in 'thumbnail' view. i'm just not sure how to fix it.
--
Learning more every day!