[SOLVED] Shock felt through PSU case, is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidxyz

Reputable
May 27, 2016
I have an Antec 650W Psu which is 4yrs old now. I touched my cpu case accidently and felt a shock. I decided to check the psu and i found out that there's current running through my Psu's case. I don't have those voltmeters or whatever you guys call it but I have this small screwdriver that glows and tells if there's some current running. Is this normal?I am assuming there's a short in my psu as I have tested it with and without connecting it to my motherboard. Btw,I dont have proper grounding anywhere in my area. I have uploaded the images to help you understand better.
uw7vxJb.jpg
G8AQgmM.jpg

Solution
regardless if you have ground or not , grounding is there to discharge the metal body if a failure occurs and it becomes energised , the fact that it became energised means that there is a failure in the PSU , you should change that PSU

sidxyz

Reputable
May 27, 2016
PS: My computer also fails to turn on sometimes .I guess the Psu has gone faulty as it refuses to even turn on, just stays dead, whenever it happens.

I have an Antec 650W Psu which is 4yrs old now. I touched my cpu case accidently and felt a shock. I decided to check the psu and i found out that there's current running through my Psu's case. I don't have those voltmeters or whatever you guys call it but I have this small screwdriver that glows and tells if there's some current running. Is this normal?I am assuming there's a short in my psu as I have tested it with and without connecting it to my motherboard. Btw,I dont have proper grounding anywhere in my area. I have uploaded the images to help you understand better.
uw7vxJb.jpg
G8AQgmM.jpg
You need proper grounding.
If your outlets don't have proper grounding, ground the case your own way.
Run a wire from the case to a ground rod....or to a metal pipe that goes into the ground.

Reactions: sidxyz

sidxyz

Reputable
May 27, 2016
You need proper grounding.
If your outlets don't have proper grounding, ground the case your own way.
Run a wire from the case to a ground rod....or to a metal pipe that goes into the ground.
I live as a paying guest and that too on 3rd floor. Can't really do anything about it. Just wanted to know if there's a short in my psu cuz if there is then I'll have to buy a new psu or I might go for a laptop and ditch my desktop.

Last edited:

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
regardless if you have ground or not , grounding is there to discharge the metal body if a failure occurs and it becomes energised , the fact that it became energised means that there is a failure in the PSU , you should change that PSU

Reactions: sidxyz
Solution

sidxyz

Reputable
May 27, 2016
Ok!! So, just in case if I buy a new Psu, should I test it? And if it does have current in the case then i should replace it,right? I mean, a properly working psu shouldn't be leaking current through its case, isn't it?

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
yes you should return it , if every electric appliance with a metal body becomes energised during normal operation then most of the population in your country and my country would have been dead by now

sidxyz

Reputable
May 27, 2016
yes you should return it , if every electric appliance with a metal body becomes energised during normal operation then most of the population in your country and my country would have been dead by now
Ok thanx :)
Also is there any easier way to ground my psu like touching it with naked foot, when turned off, to prevent static charge building in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS