Shock from PC case after new motherboard installation

Pjotrtjuh92

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
26
0
4,530
0
Hello everybody,

Today I switched from a FM2 A8-6600K to a Intel i5 6600K. I bought the Maximus VII Ranger motherboard. I installed it today and it is working fine, as I'm asking this with my pc running. However, after switching the motherboard, cpu and RAM (ddr4) I get a shock from the back of the PC case when I touch it. Not continous but just a little shock. I have a Corsair CX500M PSU.

I hope you guys can help me out because I'm afraid I did something wrong.

Greaatings, Peter
 

InvalidError

Titan
Moderator
Your case should be grounded through the power supply, which should make it impossible to get shocks from the PC.

Either you have mistaken a static discharge from your body to the case for a discharge from the case to you or you have an open/broken ground in your wiring somewhere.
 

Pjotrtjuh92

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
26
0
4,530
0
Hello InvalidError,

Thank you for your reply.

I did not change anything in the build except the motherboard, cpu and ram. Therefore it is the same PSU as before (without problems). I also did not change any cables. I have tried 3 times now and get a little shock everytime. It indeed feels like a static discharge, nothing more, but I only get it on PC startup I think (I don't like testing it out too much as I don't like electricity :)). What do you mean with open/broken ground in m ywiring? On the motherboard? I did not put all the screws in the motherboard, only the surrounding ones as I didnt have any more, might that cause this?

I only get the "shock" when I'm touching hte back of the case, the sides (also metal) seem fine.

Thanks in advance
 

Pjotrtjuh92

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
26
0
4,530
0
Update:

When I touch it again now it doesnt give a shock. Would it need to give shocks everytime if there is a broken/open ground in my wiring?
 
the sides are most likely painted. As poor insulation as the paint might be, it could be enough to stop it.
I would suspect one or both of the following:
something on the new motherboard is touching the case that should NOT touch the case.
for some reason, case is not grounding properly through the power cord.

Edit:
It is also possible that one of the stands, due to not having a screw in it, is tiny bit out of it's place due to either board being bendy or something.
this might result in something that should not touch the case in touching the case either through the stand-off or some other way. (check the backplate too. some of the grounding slips in ports can slip inside the port and catch usb's 5V or something similar.)
 

Pjotrtjuh92

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
26
0
4,530
0
Hello Little_me,

Thank you for your reply,

The whole motherboard is lifted from teh case (not touching the case anywhere). The only open wiring I have is a few extra fan power cords from my PSU that are not plugged in to a fan.

I still haven't gotten a new shock from the case though, does this indicate that it were static discharges all along (just remember I didn't have 1 sock on in my shoe as I can't find it after putting them out to build the system :p). Might this have caused me to generate static electricity everytime? Because since I have putten socks on both of my feet I haven't felt a discharge :).

If there was somethign wrong in the build I would think that, correct me if I'm wrong, I would get a shock everytime I touch the case. Have touched it multiple times now (the back including) and no shock since posting this.
 
If there is a problem in wiring, you would most likely get said shocks all the time when you touch the case.
If the problem has gone away and is not appearing anymore, it was most likely static from you to the case as Invaliderror suspected.
 

InvalidError

Titan
Moderator
I would expect an electrical fault to cause an electric charge to build up on the case and attached components continuously and be 50/60Hz. My main suspect in such a case would be an open ground with the "buzz" caused by input filter Y capacitors coupling some of the AC voltage to floating ground.
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts