Question Shocked my power button and now it wont boot.

Mar 19, 2019
2
0
10
0
lets start things off with my set up.
  1. THERMALTAKE CHASER MK-1 FULL TOWER (Case)
  2. 1000W HXI 80+P FM ATX (PSU)
  3. ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel (Motherboard)
  4. Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz (Processor)
  5. XFX Double Dissipation R9 390 1015MHZ (Graphics Card)
  6. Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 (RAM)
After shocking my PCs power button it will no longer boot fully. It will boot for about 5 seconds and start the fans but nothing come up on my monitor. I turned off the PC and unplugged it from the wall then let it rest for about 5 min before rebooting. These are the videos of what my PC is doing.
What my PC does when its switched on
LEDs on my motherboard (slowmo vid) Doesnt light up the top LED which is for Boot Device.
 

clutchc

Titan
Herald
What kind of "shock" did you give the power button? Static electricity shock or something else? Either way, you may have fried a delicate component on the motherboard. Static electric discharge can be in the thousands of volts.
 
Reactions: Khonns

clutchc

Titan
Herald
What kind of "shock" did you give the power button? Static electricity shock or something worse?
The kinda you get when you just roll out of bed.So Static electricity.
Yeah, probably ESD. That can fry components if it finds its way to them. But the power button is part of a plastic bezel, isn't it? There would have to be something conductive around the button that was grounded to discharge your spark to the wiring behind the button.
Has this shock turning on the computer ever happened before.
 

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
240
6
18,765
39
Well that is unfortunate :confused2:. 99% of the time if everything is well grounded including the electrical socket your PC is connected to this doesn't happen. Rare occasions it does however. May be worth checking that outlet you have your PC connected to...either a simple tester that you plug into the socket that has an indication that grounds are ok or a voltmeter to measure between the neutral and ground of the socket, should read below 20 V AC.
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS