Defyer

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I am setting up my home network totally wirelessly using a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router. Now I have 4 computers I need it to connect with, two desktops and two laptops. It connects with one of the laptops more often than the other ones and I don't know why, but even for that laptop and all the other computers the router CONSTANTLY drops its connection to the computers as well as dosen't let the computers connect to the internet aswell. What do I need to do to the router or buy to fix this huge hassle.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Sounds like you have a new V5 WRT65G router. If so take it back and get the GL model. Or switch to Netgear or Dlink.

Depending upon distance and walls this can happen, Interference from other wireless hardware lik phones, ...... Download NetStumbler and to a area scan for 10 min and see if other networks are near by.

Sharing 4 pc's with a 54mbps - 15 for over head /4 = very slow network.

Connect wired where ever posiable.

Defyer

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
No, I have the 3.1 model. I have the wireless phone base right next to the router so I will try scanning with that tool you gave me.

Defyer

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I get excellent signal quality, the quality isn't the problem. The problem is the router randomly disconnecting the computers or doing a repeated on and off for an hours. I ran the Network Stumbler it showed 13 networks, most of them were gray, the one I use was green. But like I said before my connection is good its just I don't know why my router is so fickle with when it wants to work.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
What distance and how may walls are between the notebook and the router?

If your cordless phone is still next to it the router, MOVE IT.

Check to see you have the latest firmware in the router.

On your wireless connections If you are using MS Zero Config. Make sure you have checked "only connect to AP". Un Check Connect to NON Prefered networks.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Cordless phone is the 2.4 ghz band width DO Affect 11b/g.

Now there are a lot of cordless phones in the 900 mhz and 5.2 ghz. These do not.

Microwaves are kind of like ovens and frigs, just a object that blocks a signal.

riser

Illustrious
I've only heard of people experiencing problems with older B equipment. I have over 50 people using cordless phones and wireless together, no one has ever complained of a problem.

I've only seen it in the older B equipment and older phones. Never with new equipment.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I've only heard of people experiencing problems with older B equipment. I have over 50 people using cordless phones and wireless together, no one has ever complained of a problem.

I've only seen it in the older B equipment and older phones. Never with new equipment.

Both 802.11b and 802.11g, along with a huge percentage of cordless phones, use the 2.4GHz band. As Blue said, unless you have an older 900MHz phone it will cause interference. This doesn't necessarily mean that the clients will drop connections, but the quality may degrade.

I'm pretty sure microwave ovens also live in the 2.4GHz band, since 2.4GHz happens to be the frequency that heats water, which is the whole principle behind how microwave ovens work. Not certain, but pretty sure.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Cordless phones and microwaves shouldn't effect 802.11g at all. In fact, I'm sitting here right now using a cordless phone and using wireless G :wink:

Microwave can Kill your wireless network connectivity. Try placing your router on the far side of your microwave then turn it on. You may still have a signal but it will not work.

I recently moved my router from the living room to the basement (to keep my 1 yr old from using it as a hammer) It worked fine in the living room with the microwave. But once in the basement, we now have 'dinner-time' outages...