[SOLVED] Shopping advice - XFX and Vega cards

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello guys!

I'm shopping right now for a new video card. Used models, I'm aiming for RX 480-580. I see a lot of XFX for sale, and from the opinions I get on internet, it's rather 50/50 on whether they run hot or just fine. I'd prefer the latter, since the airflow in my PC case is rather basic. All temps are good, so it's alright, but no sense in picking a card that runs too hot and then I have to invest more.

Do XFX run hot or not?

Also, I sometimes get GREAT deals about Vega 56 cards. Just missed an opportunity for 150$. My PSU is a Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze. I've been told that it's an old unit, not recommended for this card.

Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze for Vega 56 8gb, good or not?

Details, just so you know:
My budget is 175$ US, maximum.
Aiming for 1080p gaming resolution, nothing more. Max my screen can do is 1600x900, and I'm happy with that. Don't need ultra settings. Medium-High for Cyberpunk 2077, I'll be happy too.
My PSU is just one year old, I'm not buying another one.

Thanks a lot, and have a nice day!

Solution
XFX are an AMD exclusive manufacturer. They make very good quality cards however they aren't always the fastest available, have never had any cooling issues with them despite them usually having more basic coolers than other brands. I wouldn't worry about quality with them ever.

That said I would recommend against a Vega card and I say this as someone who owns one. No they don't have major heat issues, but they are power HUNGRY and I would recommend against running it on a Seasonic S12II. Its not a bad PSU, but its an old design and can't handle the high amperage spikes from the Vega.

Stick to the RX 580 or RX 590. or if you can get a deal on a RX 5600XT.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
XFX are an AMD exclusive manufacturer. They make very good quality cards however they aren't always the fastest available, have never had any cooling issues with them despite them usually having more basic coolers than other brands. I wouldn't worry about quality with them ever.

That said I would recommend against a Vega card and I say this as someone who owns one. No they don't have major heat issues, but they are power HUNGRY and I would recommend against running it on a Seasonic S12II. Its not a bad PSU, but its an old design and can't handle the high amperage spikes from the Vega.

Stick to the RX 580 or RX 590. or if you can get a deal on a RX 5600XT.

Solution

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Very nice of you for such a quick answer. I'll stick with RX 580-590. (maybe RX 480 if I can get a really cheap one) I'll be fine for a few years at the very least. And RX 5600XT instead of Vega, got it.

Once again, have a nice day!

Reactions: Rogue Leader