Short black screens when setting monitor to 144hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2019
Hey there,

I recently got a new pc because my old one was pretty outdated and everything runs smoothly so far.

But yesterday I finally set my monitor to 144hz (my old graphics card didnt support it) and now im facing an issue. My monitor often randomly turns black for about 3 seconds when it's set to 144hz. I've never had this issue with 60hz (and when changing back to 60hz the issue is gone) and browsing the internet didnt help either.

(I had set the display adapter properties to 1440p & 144hz when this happened and the monitor is connected using HDMI)

Monitor: BenQ ZOWIE XL2735
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 (MSI)
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
Motherboard: MSI Z370 SLI Plus
RAM: 16GB DDR4
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Thanks in advance

Solution
Check to see if there is a setting in the monitor itself.

Also, did you uninstall old driver and reinstall latest when you changed gpus?
Jan 4, 2019
I dont know if im doing anything wrong but the first time I tried to use displayport the screen went completely black when I chose 144hz and didnt show anything at all regardless of how long I waited. So I just thought my monitor would only support 144hz over hdmi

Jan 4, 2019
Couldn't find anything in my monitors settings and its a brand new pc so there werent any gpu drivers anyway. Maybe the displayport cable broke? I tried to use it with 1440p 60hz and not even that is working anymore

Jan 4, 2019
I tried a new displayport cable and it seems to work in the bios but once windows 10 starts loading (the circle) the monitor displays "No signal" and goes black again. So I guess its something driver related? I tried to reinstall my monitors and my gpu's drivers but had no success either.

Jan 4, 2019
Ok so I went into safe mode and uninstalled the newest nvidia driver. Afterwards I restarted and nvidia installed an older driver and now it works. Seems to be an issue with the newest driver or something like that.
Thanks for your help!

Mar 9, 2019
Ok so I went into safe mode and uninstalled the newest nvidia driver. Afterwards I restarted and nvidia installed an older driver and now it works. Seems to be an issue with the newest driver or something like that.
Thanks for your help!
Can i know which version u install? I have the same problem when i update the new version of nvidia. Its goes black when i set to 144hz in 2-3 sec

verdy_p

Reputable
May 28, 2014
The most common reason why your screen turns black is that the plug of your HDMI cable is not firmly inserted, or its tiny internal contacts have been altered by too frequent plugs/unplugs.

Sometimes it is the female HDMI connector whose soldering on the mobo has been damaged (because of chocks or pression on the mounted plug).

Both symtoms are easily detected: try pressing the connector on one side or another, or turn the cable, you may see the screen turn black in some positions.

It is then the connection that you need to fix: if the male connector is damaged, you may need to change this HDMI cable. If you have the same symtoms when you replace the cable, then it is the female connector which is damaged (generally the solders on the motherboard that have suffered will need to be repaired with a thin soldering iron)

Such defects are frequent for external cables when you move your PC or if you've taken your feet in the cable, or if your PC was pushed frequently towards the wall or inside a furniture with a constant diagonal pression on the connector by the excessively distorted cable

Also if your cable is fixed using screws, NEVER force the screw to the maximum: it can easily damage the mobo and crack the soldering. The screws should jsut keep the connector inside, without forcing it as it also damages the very thin protecting gold plate on the contacts, and then exposes them to oxydation.

In general it's a bad idea to use these screws and preferable to allow the cable to unplug freely. Normally the HDMI cable should still not move significantly and should stay in the female connector (if not you can fix it easily by making a small deformation to the surrounding metal ring with a modest tool, but don't touch the inner pins!)

Note also that at 144Hz, the signals transported on the pins are reving a higher energy, and if these contacts are not very good, their local temperature can increase, and local dilatation can only leave the oxidated parts in contact with higher temperature on a smaller surface and poor signaling. Make sure that your contact are clean and that the protecting gold plate are intact.

Try also removing any greesy traces, clean up contacts with alcohol (don't use petrol-based solvants, they are hard to dry and can reduce isolation between contacts, with severe effects on high frequency signals, i.e. degradation of the signal/noise ratio with increased attenuation). Also inspect the soldering or mounting of the cable on the plug: nothing should move, the cable should still be completely covered, with no marks of pression and no cut of isolators and no excessive foldering (inspect the cable on its whole length in case if was pressed by passing it near the feet of a furniture: all folds along the cable should be very fuzzy, not angular).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.