Question Short blackscreen when a video plays

Sep 8, 2022
Hello

I'm having a display related problem.

so everytime i'm having short blackscreens when doing the following:
-scrolling twitter and a video apear on my timeline
-setting a video to fullscreen or removing it from fullscreen in microsoft groove music
-playing a video on youtube
-setting the youtube video to fullscreen or removing the video from fullscreen

To me it look like it's switching from my GPU to something else, maybe a power saving mode or soemthing...

Config:
-CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
-GPU RTX 3080
-Drive some SSD
-Monitor AOC e2450Swh (1920x1080 60hz)
-OS Windows 11
-MOBO Asus Rog x470f
-PSU 850w 80+gold
-RAM 32gb (16gb usable by windows,that's another problem i have)

It used to hapen with my old GTX 1050ti too
after upgrading to the RTX 3080 i did a reset and clean install of my pc

hopefully someone would b able to help

I wouldn't use either of those honestly.

As a test, try downloading Chrome or Firefox, and see if the same thing happens in those browsers.

What Windows version and build number are you running? You can find the build number by typing "winver" in the search or run box on the start menu, without the quotes, and hitting enter.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Sep 8, 2022
I wouldn't use either of those honestly.

As a test, try downloading Chrome or Firefox, and see if the same thing happens in those browsers.

What Windows version and build number are you running? You can find the build number by typing "winver" in the search or run box on the start menu, without the quotes, and hitting enter.

Doesn't seem to hapen with Firefow, haven't tryed chrome but if i remember it does too, i need to check if it hapens in games or when alt+tab

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Sep 8, 2022
Oh i just noticed it hapens only on my main screen not on the second one (the main one is the AOC 1080p from my config list) i have a second monitor wich is a old 4.3 hp screen

Try disabling hardware acceleration in your Edge or Chrome browser settings. I think it is disabled by default in Firefox but can't remember for sure. Usually these types of problems are related to having hardware acceleration enabled in the browser settings. Seen the same thing, or even with green boxes, many times. I'd start there.

Reactions: Rosace
Sep 8, 2022
Try disabling hardware acceleration in your Edge or Chrome browser settings. I think it is disabled by default in Firefox but can't remember for sure. Usually these types of problems are related to having hardware acceleration enabled in the browser settings. Seen the same thing, or even with green boxes, many times. I'd start there.

It seems to work, so the black screen hapens when the hardware acceleration is enabled by some apps

Sep 8, 2022
Hardware acceleration is totally not required so just leave it disabled in your browser settings.
Aparently my GPU doesn't want to use hardware acceleration anywhere, it is required by some software and i belive any video games

so yeah i've tryed to use an old driver (nvidia studio 411.68) as i have seen that in a other forum, no success

i've also heard it could come from an audio motherboard driver, in the forum they talked about "nahimic" i don't have that one, but i had a realtek driver homemade by asus called "supremefx" i've uninstalled it and i'm gonna restart my PC to see if it change something

What is the exact model of your "850w PSU"?

What motherboard BIOS version are you currently running?

I would recommend installing ALL of the latest drivers from your motherboard product support page including chipset (.inf), audio and network adapters. RAID drivers are not necessary and should not be installed unless you plan to run a RAID array, which I recommend against anyhow.

Sep 8, 2022
What is the exact model of your "850w PSU"?

What motherboard BIOS version are you currently running?

I would recommend installing ALL of the latest drivers from your motherboard product support page including chipset (.inf), audio and network adapters. RAID drivers are not necessary and should not be installed unless you plan to run a RAID array, which I recommend against anyhow.

My PSU is this one a ROG Strix 850g i've setup everything right there, used 3 pcie cable for each of the 16pin power inputs (each cable have two 16pin output so to be sure i've splited them) ROG-STRIX-850G | ROG Strix | Gaming Power Supply Units|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

My Mobo bios is indeed outdated the version is from 2018, i tryed to update it using a fat32 usb drive and also putting the file (.cap? or something) at the root of an SSD but the bios say it is not a proper bios file, i'm gonna try again today

Make sure the flash drive containing the BIOS is formatted as FAT 32. Some BIOS will work with an NTFS formatted flash drive but some will not. Also, if that doesn't help, try a different flash drive.

Most systems won't work with an SSD or external drive other than a USB flash drive. If you don't have one, go buy one. They are very cheap. You don't need one more than 8GB, which is probably about the smallest you can find them anymore anyhow. Unless of course you'd use it for other things then get one larger if you like, if you need to.

Also, make sure you are inserting the flash drive in one of the USB ports on the back of the motherboard. Some systems won't flash using front panel or external hub ports.

If you still have troubles, I'll look into it further with you.

Sep 8, 2022
Make sure the flash drive containing the BIOS is formatted as FAT 32. Some BIOS will work with an NTFS formatted flash drive but some will not. Also, if that doesn't help, try a different flash drive.

Most systems won't work with an SSD or external drive other than a USB flash drive. If you don't have one, go buy one. They are very cheap. You don't need one more than 8GB, which is probably about the smallest you can find them anymore anyhow. Unless of course you'd use it for other things then get one larger if you like, if you need to.

Also, make sure you are inserting the flash drive in one of the USB ports on the back of the motherboard. Some systems won't flash using front panel or external hub ports.

Thanks, i do have many USB drive, i did tryed on the front panel so yeah i should do it directly on the mobo, right now i have updated the chipset

Sep 8, 2022

So i've updated the bios from 4024(not sure i forgot) to another version i forgot 5k something, i followed another forum where they say you can't bridge to the latest version directly so i used the same as them the result of this is the PC not booting anymore to the bios, there is nothing, just a blackscreen, i of course pluged my monitor on the mobo instead of the gpu, then i tried a clear cmos and removed the gpu, nothing hapened i did followed these step: unplug PSU, Remove cmos battery for 1 minute, short the crtc pin for 30 sec, nothig hapened.

idk what i'm missing

Well, you did something wrong. I don't know what because I'm not there, but.

Sep 8, 2022
Well, you did something wrong. I don't know what because I'm not there, but.

I learned that my mobo HDMI will not work unless i use an APU, and the CMOS battery is uncaccessible because of the GPU so i removed the GPU and installed my small old GTX 1050ti instead, i'm trying many methods to do a clear CMOS and hopefully it would boot again but nothing works, i did the CLRTC Pin short circuit method and the battery removal one. i have the orange Q-Led on wich says it's a DRAM problem, i can try to swap/remove my RAM but they are under my CPU cooler and annoying to remove, the 4 RAM Stick are the same capacity,Frequency and model.

Sep 8, 2022
I learned that my mobo HDMI will not work unless i use an APU, and the CMOS battery is uncaccessible because of the GPU so i removed the GPU and installed my small old GTX 1050ti instead, i'm trying many methods to do a clear CMOS and hopefully it would boot again but nothing works, i did the CLRTC Pin short circuit method and the battery removal one. i have the orange Q-Led on wich says it's a DRAM problem, i can try to swap/remove my RAM but they are under my CPU cooler and annoying to remove, the 4 RAM Stick are the same capacity,Frequency and model.

Sep 8, 2022
Update: I've removed 3 of the 4 stick of ram, i'm now running on 1 8gb stick, it did booted after doing that, now i'm gonna try to update the bios through windows i think asus have a soft called Ezupdate or something like that

The video outputs on your motherboard never work unless you have a CPU with integrated graphics installed, or have a motherboard that itself has integrated graphics, but I haven't seen a motherboard with it's own integrated graphics for MANY, MANY years, so basically if you don't have a CPU with an iGPU you need to have a graphics card installed and your display cable needs to be connected to one of the video outputs on the graphics card.

I see nothing in the BIOS version descriptions that says anything about not being able to go directly to the latest BIOS version, and when that is a thing it ALWAYS says so somewhere, and is noted with a highly visible notation. So I find it dubious at best that whatever other forum you saw that on could be accurate. I DO see a notation on several firmware versions indicating "ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS." so that is something that should be done as well before updating, but I see no reason you can't go directly to the latest version.

On several versions I see indications that ASUS recommends NOT using EZ update and only using EZ flash via USB flash drive from the BIOS.

InvalidError

Titan
Momentary black screens (under one second) while doing stuff like switching from windowed to full-screen are probably normal, possibly caused by the overlay getting reset during re-sizing. In Firefox, this is hidden by a fade-to-black transition and a fade-in afterwards. Going to full-screen may also cause a momentary loss of sync if the application sets the display mode to dedicated full-screen.

If your monitor loses sync though (message on screen, blinking or different color power LED, whatever else your monitor may do on loss-of-sync) with windowed videos and possibly take a few seconds, check your Windows system logs for Nvidia driver crashes.

Sep 8, 2022
The video outputs on your motherboard never work unless you have a CPU with integrated graphics installed, or have a motherboard that itself has integrated graphics, but I haven't seen a motherboard with it's own integrated graphics for MANY, MANY years, so basically if you don't have a CPU with an iGPU you need to have a graphics card installed and your display cable needs to be connected to one of the video outputs on the graphics card.

I see nothing in the BIOS version descriptions that says anything about not being able to go directly to the latest BIOS version, and when that is a thing it ALWAYS says so somewhere, and is noted with a highly visible notation. So I find it dubious at best that whatever other forum you saw that on could be accurate. I DO see a notation on several firmware versions indicating "ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS." so that is something that should be done as well before updating, but I see no reason you can't go directly to the latest version.

On several versions I see indications that ASUS recommends NOT using EZ update and only using EZ flash via USB flash drive from the BIOS.

So i managed to update my bios, i couldn't update directly from version 4024 to 6042, i did 4024 -> 5603 -> 5809 -> 6042

so now i have an updated bios, i'll do some testing with the GPU and see if it fixed my hardware acceleration problem

about the ram i did some tests so if i put the 4 ram stick (same models) in the 4 slots, the q-led DRAM error is triggered, so 1 2 3 4 don't work,

first 1 - - - works
second 1 2 - - works
third 1 2 3 - works
fourth 1 2 3 4 q-led error
fifth 1 2 4 3 q-led error
sixth 1 2 - 3 works
seventh 1 2 4 - works

i though ram 4 was faulty but it worked, in config seventh also though slot 4 was faulty but it worked in config sixth, that's weird maybe i need to setup soemthing in the BIOS?

So all of the slots work with three of the modules but one of the slots doesn't work with one of the modules?

So, in reality when using only one stick it should be installed in the A2 slot, only. When using two sticks they should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots. These are the second and fourth slots. When using three they should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots with the additional DIMM installed in the A1 slot, although this type of configuration isn't highly recommended. So with a single DIMM installed in any slot other than the A2 slot it might or might not work depending on the board model and the memory in use. I can't tell you why this is other than the fact that architecturally they are by design engineered to be populated in a specific way and when they are not you can expect the unexpected.

So the bottom line for me is, if they all work singly in the A2 slot then they are all likely good. If you can install any of them in the A2 slot but only two of the remaining three will work in the B2 slot with a DIMM installed in the A2 slot, then it is likely because that DIMM is from a different kit than the one that is currently installed in the A2 slot and might not be compatible with it even if the memory kits have the same model number.

What you need to do is locate the "version number" on each of the DIMMs and pair them up according to which two have the same and which two are different, if they are different.

As seen here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-post-after-attempting-a-memory-oc.3777836/post-22800164

Then make sure that two of them that belong together are in the A2 and B2 slots and the other two are in the A1 and B1 slots. It is important that they are populated in such a way that DIMMs which belong together are each in a separate channel so that they not only are working together, for reasons of being compatible with each other, but also so that they will function properly in dual channel.

If you can install ANY of them in the A2 slot but there is just one DIMM that won't work in the B2 slot no matter which DIMM is being used in the A2 slot, then it is likely that DIMM is bad.

It might be a good idea to determine which DIMMs should be paired together and then mark the first set DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 and the second set DIMM 3 and DIMM 4 to make it easier to keep track of what actually works where and with which other DIMMs.

Sep 8, 2022
So all of the slots work with three of the modules but one of the slots doesn't work with one of the modules?

So, in reality when using only one stick it should be installed in the A2 slot, only. When using two sticks they should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots. These are the second and fourth slots. When using three they should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots with the additional DIMM installed in the A1 slot, although this type of configuration isn't highly recommended. So with a single DIMM installed in any slot other than the A2 slot it might or might not work depending on the board model and the memory in use. I can't tell you why this is other than the fact that architecturally they are by design engineered to be populated in a specific way and when they are not you can expect the unexpected.

So the bottom line for me is, if they all work singly in the A2 slot then they are all likely good. If you can install any of them in the A2 slot but only two of the remaining three will work in the B2 slot with a DIMM installed in the A2 slot, then it is likely because that DIMM is from a different kit than the one that is currently installed in the A2 slot and might not be compatible with it even if the memory kits have the same model number.

What you need to do is locate the "version number" on each of the DIMMs and pair them up according to which two have the same and which two are different, if they are different.

As seen here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-post-after-attempting-a-memory-oc.3777836/post-22800164

Then make sure that two of them that belong together are in the A2 and B2 slots and the other two are in the A1 and B1 slots. It is important that they are populated in such a way that DIMMs which belong together are each in a separate channel so that they not only are working together, for reasons of being compatible with each other, but also so that they will function properly in dual channel.

If you can install ANY of them in the A2 slot but there is just one DIMM that won't work in the B2 slot no matter which DIMM is being used in the A2 slot, then it is likely that DIMM is bad.

It might be a good idea to determine which DIMMs should be paired together and then mark the first set DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 and the second set DIMM 3 and DIMM 4 to make it easier to keep track of what actually works where and with which other DIMMs.

I'll look on that later

i laso did a user benchmark Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Sep 8, 2022
Update: i noticed 2 of my ram sticks had a diferent number so i swaped them and put it in the irght slots my mobo slots have to be B1 B2 A1 A2, so i placed the ram correctly to these
sitll the same problem, when i put the stick 4 it make the q-led error, so i'm right now running with 1 2 - 3, i'll keep it like this for the moment

i also enabled DOCP as it said in the first benchmark and got more perf on RAM, here a updated benchmark

Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark

TRENDING THREADS