Question Short Circuited or Completely Broken?

Apr 21, 2022
This has happened to me twice now, where I have shorted a PSU after adding new hardware to my computer.

The first time, I had just added: 2 sticks of ram for 64gb total on 4 sticks, a cpu water cooler, and an rgb controller for my fans. It shorted a 750w PSU, so I just accepted that it was 4 years old and that it must have just been time for a new one.

This time just now, my 850w psu (>1 year old) shorted after I added a new cpu and a new gpu.

But the thing is, all of the websites for voltage/wattage calculators say that my requirements shouldn't even be more than 600watts, assuming I entered all the values correctly. Even then, I doubt that I would manage to leave out 200+ watts of electricity usage.

Can I repair my PSU's somehow? They are extremely difficult to take apart, but maybe there is an internal part I can replace on them to refurbish and use them? I really just don't want to spend another 200 dollars if I don't have to

Apr 21, 2022
sound like you have a different definition of short circuit
All I really know is that when I plugged it in, the idle lights came on. The ones that light up when the pc is turned off but powered. Then I turn it on, it starts to light up, then shuts down and the idle lights won't come on anymore. It has to be something related to my psu but I just reeeeally don't want to go get a new one. I have a corsair tm850, I thought it would be enough to power my build