Question Short CPU temperature spikes over 90°C

Sep 11, 2020
Hello Everybody,

Usually my CPU temperature fluctuates between 50-70 degree Celsius but sometimes there are some spikes for just 1 second or less to a temperature with 35°C more than average which means over 90°Cs. Is it normal to have these spikes for a short period of time? If not, which could be the root cause for these fluctuations? I mention the cooler is working and the ambient temperature is below 25°C.

Thanks!

View: https://imgur.com/a/ciN4iw3

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
What CPU are you running, and what cooler is on it? 90C is below throttle for most CPUs nowadays, but some older ones like FX from AMD can throttle as low as about 70.

Spikes while working intensively or spikes while measuring in idle?

Well, this is a laptop system. Usually it's no too much wonder as laptops get heat more easily than PCs, and this is partially normal. Max. operating temp. of this cpu is something like 101-105 degrees, I think 92-95 shouldn't decrease its lifespan...

A few months ago when I was doing some little DIY customizations in my mini-laptop it seems like in one of the steps actually I didn't make a good contact surface with the heatsink and in idle sometimes I saw 80-88 deegrees, but after adding some more metal, soldering and reapplying the thermal paste, things got better. If it's a new machine under warranty then contact the seller/brand staff; in other case you can: clean it inside - the fan, heatsink, etc may have dust on them; can put mx-4 instead of whatever is there between the cpu & heatsink, it 'd probably improve a bit. The screws, tightening the heatsink have to be tightened well, though not too much, but if it's loose the contact is then loose. I guess your laptop is with thermal paste layer there. If it's with thermal pad, then mb thermal grizzly make the best thermopads, but I don't think it's a pad there, but instead thermal paste as this is cpu. Personally I also use dual-120 mm fans below my mini-laptop and I keep it above the surface (table, desk or whatever) with minidesk/4 minilegs/2 books when I can. It's a potato laptop of mine, but I still want it healthy.

I see other people also complain about hi-temps on this cpu, though different laptop brands and models:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Heating-of-i7-8550U-processor/td-p/675497

Last edited:
Reactions: florin611
Sep 11, 2020
Spikes while working intensively or spikes while measuring in idle?

Well, this is a laptop system. Usually it's no too much wonder as laptops get heat more easily than PCs, and this is partially normal. Max. operating temp. of this cpu is something like 101-105 degrees, I think 92-95 shouldn't decrease its lifespan...

A few months ago when I was doing some little DIY customizations in my mini-laptop it seems like in one of the steps actually I didn't make a good contact surface with the heatsink and in idle sometimes I saw 80-88 deegrees, but after adding some more metal, soldering and reapplying the thermal paste, things got better. If it's a new machine under warranty then contact the seller/brand staff; in other case you can: clean it inside - the fan, heatsink, etc may have dust on them; can put mx-4 instead of whatever is there between the cpu & heatsink, it 'd probably improve a bit. The screws, tightening the heatsink have to be tightened well, though not too much, but if it's loose the contact is then loose. I guess your laptop is with thermal paste layer there. If it's with thermal pad, then mb thermal grizzly make the best thermopads, but I don't think it's a pad there, but instead thermal paste as this is cpu. Personally I also use dual-120 mm fans below my mini-laptop and I keep it above the surface (table, desk or whatever) with minidesk/4 minilegs/2 books when I can. It's a potato laptop of mine, but I still want it healthy.

I see other people also complain about hi-temps on this cpu, though different laptop brands and models:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Heating-of-i7-8550U-processor/td-p/675497

Thank you very much for your reply.To answer to your questions, the spikes appear both on Idle on a high load.

The topic on Intel forum was very useful. It seems that is not uncommon for CPU to reach these temperatures despite it would be ideal to be below 90deg C. Anyway, it seems that as long as these temperatures are below 100 deg C and the high temperature is not constant the CPU it not at big risk.

Sep 11, 2020
Hello Everybody,

Usually my CPU temperature fluctuates between 50-70 degree Celsius but sometimes there are some spikes for just 1 second or less to a temperature with 35°C more than average which means over 90°Cs. Is it normal to have these spikes for a short period of time? If not, which could be the root cause for these fluctuations? I mention the cooler is working and the ambient temperature is below 25°C.

Thanks!

View: https://imgur.com/a/ciN4iw3

Fortunately I found out where the problem was, recently I was in service to replace the track-pad of the laptop because the hinges mechanism broke(common problem on Lenovo - hinges are fixed with screws in a plastic body that brokes) and I was proposed to pay also a dust clean up and a thermal paste replacement. Of course I agreed. Unfortunately despite they were quite a good service they forgot to apply thermal fast after cleaning the old one(I know,it is unbelievable). I was in a different service today, they put thermal paste and the CPU is working now properly below 70 degree C no matter the load.

I guess your machine was under warranty. If something of mine isn't under warranty, I definitely try to disassemble and fix things myself to evade someone else's stupid mistakes as too often I know more for my system than the service around and doing it myself is almost always cheaper (or mb actually always cheaper).
We can hope they've put mx-4 or similar paste, but if temperatures are ok, it (almost) doesn't matter.