Question Short freezes after OC

Oct 1, 2019
Good evening guys,

I ran into a weird issue with my overclock. The overclock is stable (30 min run with AIDA64 and another 45 with Prime95) but there is a problem. When gaming, loading programs or even watching YouTube I get short half a second freezes with the BRRRT buzzing sound you usually hear before you get a BSOD. It feels like they happen more often as the day drags on, occuring about every 20 secs in games. I don't know what is responsible for this behavior, since stress testing leads to no problems and temps are still ok (max 65° on the CPU and around 60 on the GPU).

My system:
My system:
Coolermaster G550M 550w PSU
Arctic Freezer 13 CO Cooler
ASUS P7P55M Mainboard
i7-870 @ 22*165 MHz
Windforce GTX 960 (Core Clock + 90, Mem clock + 550)
2 x 4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz

I've seen some people have similar issues, although they most often stayed unresolved. I tried incrementing my VCORE up to +0.15, but the issue persisted nevertheless.

Do you have an idea what could be the root of this problem?

Thank you and kind regards

Reactions: vyrule
Oct 1, 2019
I filled it out for you:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jmHRBZ

Please note that they didnt have my specific motherboard, the P7P55M (mATX), but only the normal ATX form factor variants.
Although my PSU seems to be sufficient it might have a problem when a core reaches full load. This would also explain why the issue appears more often in older games that only run on a single core (noticed that in IL2-1946).

vyrule

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, that's strange... I thought for sure it would be a PSU issue, and it still could be - quite commonly you'll have unexpected shutdowns or stuttering if its the PSU. It could be the motherboard chipset though.. ASUS says you cant up the core clock any higher than 500mHz (at the bottom) which is pretty low (assuming you've jacked the CPU up too). Id take it off for now at least so you don't damage anything. I fried my r9 280x a couple of years back running a stupid OC in War Thunder.

Hopefully there will be a bit more traffic here with us both commenting, so someone who's had the issue can pick it straight up. sorry i couldn't be more use

Oct 1, 2019
Thank you. I'm not sure what they exactly mean with that 500 MHz number. It is the maximum base clock you can set in the BIOS (but who sets a clock that high), maybe this is what they're talking about. If it's the PSU I can test reducing the voltages a bit and maybe move that GPU overclock back a little. Currently my GPU is at +5% voltage and my VCORE at +0.05.

vyrule

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, you're right... clearly i misread that. I have no idea man, its not even a high overclock, that's what makes me think it could be something else

Oct 1, 2019
Quick update in case someone finds the thread in the future:

I upgraded to a P7P55D motherboard, which is the ATX version. It has significantly larger heatsinks and is more robust for OC in general. So far I did not have the same issues at 183*20 MHz. I will update this post in case the issues return and I find a better answer than to upgrade