[SOLVED] short usb-c to usb-a cable

Dec 3, 2020
I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD v2, which I am connecting to my old macbook pro with an included USB-C to USB-A cable. This cable is only 1 foot which I like but is extremely snug at the USB-A end. I am not sure if this is done on purpose to ensure the performance at 10Gbps (or even possibly 20Gbps) or it is a defective cable. At times it connect only at USB 2.0 speeds possibly because it doesn't plug properly (because of extreme snugginess). I am also concerned that it may damage the USB-A port on my computer. I did contact Sandisk and they refused to help in any way. I have another USB-C to USB-A cable rated 10Gbps (Belkin) which plugs fine, but it is a bit too long and too stiff to confortably carry around. I want to find another short cable around 1 foot or so. But here is the problem: there are plenty of those for charging and very few that support even 5Gbps and mostly from some unknown (to me) brands except AmazonBasic USB 3.2 Gen 2 one. So I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a quality short (1foot or so) USB-C to USB-A cable rated 10Gbps (or even 5Gbps). Thank you for any input!

Solution
Yes, it's going to be like that. 3ft is generally the minimum, because of its versatility. A simple loop and it's 1ft long. Allows for difference in placement etc. A 1ft cord is a lot more restrictive, especially for owners of a full tower etc, where by default the drive must sit on top or run the risk of overbending the connections. A 3ft cord is easy use in a vehicle, where like my dodge it's in the center armrest, a 1ft cord not so good, would leave a phone hanging etc.

Manufacturers are going to want the widest market, they'll sell more 3ft cords than 1ft cords, so it's not in their best interests to make something so short.

Ralston18

Titan
Try using a simple USB 3.0 extension cable.

Provided that I correctly understand the existing "too short" connection:

MAC [USB A port] <- - - USB A plug (male) --- extension cable ------ [USB A plug (female)] <---- USB A plug ( male ) ---- current 1 foot cable USB c (male) -----> Sandisk Pro

Makes for a more complicated connection and just one more thing to go wrong.

Plugs should be snug. The problem is mostly a matter of poor materials and/or poor quality manufacturing with respect to any given cable.

A simpler option is to just purchase a longer USB-C to USB-A cable.

That all said......

I would just use the known working Belkin cable. It is likely to become less stiff and sooner or later the extra length will prove beneficial.

Saves some money as well...

Dec 3, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to clarify that I am looking for a short cable, not a long one. There are quite a few 3 or 6 foot ones, which appear to be good (USB-IF certified), but extremely few 1 foot ones with 5Gbps or higher data rates, mostly from unknown brands, so I was seeking a recommendation for a short one ...
Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's going to be like that. 3ft is generally the minimum, because of its versatility. A simple loop and it's 1ft long. Allows for difference in placement etc. A 1ft cord is a lot more restrictive, especially for owners of a full tower etc, where by default the drive must sit on top or run the risk of overbending the connections. A 3ft cord is easy use in a vehicle, where like my dodge it's in the center armrest, a 1ft cord not so good, would leave a phone hanging etc.

Manufacturers are going to want the widest market, they'll sell more 3ft cords than 1ft cords, so it's not in their best interests to make something so short.

Solution
Jun 5, 2021
I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD v2, which I am connecting to my old macbook pro with an included USB-C to USB-A cable. This cable is only 1 foot which I like but is extremely snug at the USB-A end. I am not sure if this is done on purpose to ensure the performance at 10Gbps (or even possibly 20Gbps) or it is a defective cable. At times it connect only at USB 2.0 speeds possibly because it doesn't plug properly (because of extreme snugginess). I am also concerned that it may damage the USB-A port on my computer. I did contact Sandisk and they refused to help in any way. I have another USB-C to USB-A cable rated 10Gbps (Belkin) which plugs fine, but it is a bit too long and too stiff to confortably carry around. I want to find another short cable around 1 foot or so. But here is the problem: there are plenty of those for charging and very few that support even 5Gbps and mostly from some unknown (to me) brands except AmazonBasic USB 3.2 Gen 2 one. So I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a quality short (1foot or so) USB-C to USB-A cable rated 10Gbps (or even 5Gbps). Thank you for any input!
is there any other alternative to this belkin? i'm looking for the exact same thing as you, but i really find belkin's product really pricy. Just wondering if you;ve stumbled upon any other alternatives, like ugreen or something

Jun 5, 2021
btw are you also utilizing the usb-c to usb-a adapter that comes with the ssd together with the belkin cable you bought?