Shortage of case fan connectors on mobo; what do?

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Heyo,

I got a MSI B350M Arctic Mortar motherboard and it only came with three 4pin connectors for fans (all my fans are 3pin though). I wanted to add in one more 3pin fan but the only connectors left are some extra ones for like front panel or usbs (though I do not know why, I suppose if a case had more of these things), which are also 4pins but only the front panel one is a one-row kind so I was thinking of using that one.

I was wondering if I could just make use of one of these for a fan. I was reading on the forums that there's hubs but some are pricey and I really only need one more. Suggestions? Thanks

Solution
You can get a fairly cheap Y-splitter, this will allow you to plug 2 fans into one header. You won't be able to control them individually.

The one caveat to a Y splitter is that you need to make sure you're not exceeding the current allowance. So if the motherboard manual or other info says the header is a "1 Amp" or whatever, just make sure you stay under that with both fans (they usually have the current listed on the fan packaging or the fan itself.

For Example: (but make sure you know which type of connectors you need)...

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
You can get a fairly cheap Y-splitter, this will allow you to plug 2 fans into one header. You won't be able to control them individually.

The one caveat to a Y splitter is that you need to make sure you're not exceeding the current allowance. So if the motherboard manual or other info says the header is a "1 Amp" or whatever, just make sure you stay under that with both fans (they usually have the current listed on the fan packaging or the fan itself.

For Example: (but make sure you know which type of connectors you need)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162026&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+Internal+Power+Cables-_-N82E16812162026&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1be_49Sm3AIVg8VkCh2AsAorEAQYASABEgIEI_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Solution
^ Nice, no gaudy exposed wiring.
@ Levy23: Also try your local computer stores, this type of 'Y' splitter is a common part.

Try for 4 pin connectors-they'll work with 3 or 4 pin headers and fans-that way if you decide to swap your fans for the 4 pin PWM type you'll already have a splitter handy. If you look you'll see the connectors are keyed in such a way that you can't connect them incorrectly, regardless of the header or fan type.

Don't forget BOTH fans should be the same make and model or they'll run at different speeds.

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

[strike]One of the connectors there have a missing prong; does that matter? They're 3pin connectors. Also, trying to look thro the manual for the board and can't find anything about a header/etc[/strike]; https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR-ARCTIC#down-manual

edit: realized from the manual though my fans aren't pwm so that's interesting/annoying. They're 3pins which don't have the pwm line. Oh well. Gonna buy some 4pins I think and replace a couple of these fans that came with the case as well as get that Y splitter. Thanks for the help you guys!