Shortages Plague Intel's Coffee Lake Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Massively delay products then launch them several months earlier than originally planned... not too hard to imagine how that could mess up stock to feed the initial demand spike before enough fab lines have been converted to the new chips to support sales.

Intel had to launch something to put the brakes on AMD's momentum. Let's see how long it'll take for availability and prices to settle, that'll tell us whether the launch was a sham.

lonewoofe

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Amazon never had any available for sale. What they did was put them up as "Backordered". You know, pay me now and you will get it later, MUCH later. It is comical and brilliant really. Intel saw AMD did with Vega, and did the exact same thing. It didn't hurt AMD and some individuals put the Vega cards on auction for hundreds more to make a killing while the rest just salivate and wish for one.
Remember!!! INTEL nor AMD are our friends. they just want our dollars and will stoop to new lows to snatch them from our sweaty hands. In a few weeks when the dust clears and the vaseline drys up, people will forget as they often do and some other cooporate giant will step on you again. People will moan and groan and fork over the dollar bills.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I wanted an I5-8600K; didn't want to wait another 3 weeks on Newegg; bought a used i7-7700K for $200. Intel lost a sale and I'm probably out of the market for a couple years at least.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
A "by the books" paper launch. Releasing a product with very limited availability but great fanfare in order to one up your rival.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
I agree with Vorador2, where I'm from, we call this a paper launch. The websites I see are listing December as earliest availability.

This is flowing just like the nVidia 1080 launch. A few units available at launch, then nothing for several months.

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
From what I can see from looking at combined scores the 7700 is still an extremely compelling CPU purchase even now. the 8700 is a little bit more powerful, a little bit more expensive.

I dunno.. Maybe I looked at the wrong benchmarks, but we miss you Moore's Law. It was fun while it lasted.

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
They launched with JUST enough to get them in the hands of tech sites like this one...post a few awesome benchmarks...and get customers who were considering AMD to rethink.

<Mod Edit: Watch the language.>

Tanyac

Reputable
I can't help but wonder if this "scarcity" is deliberate. Let's see, we've had flash shortages, graphics card shortages, RAM shortages and now CPU shortages, all within the last 12 months.

The main result from the shortages - driving up prices, in some case by as much as 60%.

As IBJEEPR said, I too am looking to buy a I5-8600K, or maybe I7-8700 and a new motherboard, so that I can support 4K UHD on my HTPC (The Blu-ray drive requires ata least 7th Gen CPU), but the Kaby Lake is such a pitiful upgrade and the prices are still high it would be just dumb for me to go for 7700[k].. So we wait...

If while researching AMD over the next couple of weeks I find that Ryzen will do the job, Intel will lose yet another sale from me.

Larmo-Ct

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
My years' old machines are starting to fall around me, like empty beer bottles. Not to mention my seven year old Samsung Plasma TV's screen is getting more fine lines on it than my face. ;-) I'm holding out to upgrade components till after the holidays.. If my stuff lasts that long. :-|

Omne35

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Some of the custom builders have stock. I ordered one today with the 8700K.

Yeah I know, DIY. Over the years I've built around 10 systems going back to a 386 machine and up to i7s. These days I'm too lazy and don't have the same interest that I used to have. I also have more money then I used to have. For a difference of $300 on pcpartpicker I'll take the warranty and a simple plug in.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"s IBJEEPR said, I too am looking to buy a I5-8600K, or maybe I7-8700 and a new motherboard, so that I can support 4K UHD on my HTPC (The Blu-ray drive requires ata least 7th Gen CPU), but the Kaby Lake is such a pitiful upgrade and the prices are still high it would be just dumb for me to go for 7700[k].. So we wait..."

At this point, its probably a better option to just add an outboard 4k Blu-Ray player to your tv.

Intel is also cognizant of the looming holiday season, so introducing a more competitive lineup, even without widespread availability, could be designed to slow Ryzen sales as we enter the most lucrative part of the year.
This is the most likely scenario. The rumors going around earlier this year were that the 6-core Coffee Lake desktop CPUs wouldn't likely be available until around the new year, so it was a bit surprising to see them launching just 9 months after Kaby Lake. By comparison, it was almost a year and a half between the desktop launches of Skylake and Kaby Lake. Intel obviously rushed a paper launch with a handful of chips that probably won't be widely available for months. They knew the supply would be extremely limited, which is why only enthusiast-level motherboards will be available until early next year, when the launch was likely planned. AMD had a processor series that was well-received and competitive against their products for the first time in years, so Intel knew it would be in their best interest to get these new parts out there in front of people, even if you couldn't actually buy them yet.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
This was all a ploy to get people excited about buying a PC again and pull the bait and switch hoping to convince them to buy a 7700K or Skylake-X. Coffee lake was not due out for 4-5 more months and Intel rushed to market because nobody is buying their CPU's anymore (besides coffee lake). The skylake x parts all have very few reviews, i think the most is 14 reviews for the 7820x, even less for the 7900x

InvalidError

Titan

Most reviews that I have seen are thrashing Intel for the x299 mess and Intel's decision to re-package LGA1151 chips on LGA2066 to fill the lower end of the range that doesn't make sense on $300+ motherboards. The harsh critiques and niche status of HEDT aren't too conductive to reviewers receiving review samples and even when they do, there is always the possibility of curated samples which some reviewers frown upon.

Also, most enthusiast sites are heavily biased towards gaming where massive multi-core chips get beaten by i7-6700k/7700k/i5-8600+ most of the time.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I'm just looking forward to the 8700 HQ laptop processor that will hopefully be six-cores with a 4.2 gigahertz single-threaded turbo boost or better... Maybe be out by December?
@InvalidError, how is it that Qualcomm has still belt out 20% single core performance gains per generation, but X6 has been so locked up for 4+ years.
Will ARM CPUs' performance increases soon start to screetch to a halt too?

misrer2forme

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Intel using questionable tactics to try and derail AMDs momentum? Say it ain't so. I know this is a notoriously Intel favored site but....

AMD lead the market in value and multithreaded performance for 6 months, and might still even by a small margin. By the time coffee lake actually hits shelves, zen2 might be ready for prime time. I see this as an opportunity to finally get AMD back in the game. That bodes very well for consumers, not so much for fanboys.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
You know there's a shortage when a major vendor sell out everything in eleven seconds after launch!

The real issue is that good availability is not expecyted until next year, when Z390 and the other chipsets are released (and Ryzen2 is around the corner).
The Z370 motherboards already produced will be very hard to sell with no matching CPUs.

InvalidError

Titan

Don't expect too much out of Ryzen 2: it is only a tweaked Ryzen (Zen+) on 12nm. It may enable AMD to chip away at the clock frequency gap and fix some of Ryzen's worst quirks, not much more than that.

Zen 2 (new core architecture on 7nm) isn't coming until 2019. That's where the big IPC gains should be happening if AMD achieves any.

This was on point. The 12nm process is essentially the same 14nm process tweaked so don't expect much but slightly higher clocks.

The 7nm process though should be pretty damn good since Gloflo snagged IBM's division along with the people. IBM have been cutting edge outpacing Intel many times on the R&D side so I have very high hopes for the 7nm process. Personally why I picked up Ryzen knowing I should get a huge bump in 2019 by socketing in a new CPU no other changes.

InvalidError

Titan

How long will you keep that motherboard if Zen 2 requires AM4+ for native USB3.2, PCIe 4.0, Thunderbolt and other features? Running a CPU on a platform that cannot expose all of its capabilities (even if I'm not using them) would annoy me to no end.

Yeah I will evaluate it when the time comes to see what I would get from a new board. If its a matter of not getting USB 3.2, Thunderbolt misc features then I wouldn't upgrade my motherboard. If we will have PCIE 4 though I probably would if It looks like 2019-2020 single GPU's would use the bandwidth otherwise I prob would just socket the new CPU and move on.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Who knows.
AMD usually tweaks their chips as time go. They start adding better things slowly and not radically like Intel.
Wouldn't surprise me if we see a 4+Ghz turboboosts easily and some downgrade in consumption.
Maybe perhaps small ipc improvements thanks to fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.