[SOLVED] shortcut icons just disappearing (shortcut works)

rocafella1978

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
hi all, i have had and still have this phenomenon that icons for shortcuts just simply disappear after some time. the shortcut still work, and when i click on properties/ change icon, i can see the correct icon and can choose, but when i click ok, it doesn't save it or update the icon. this is the same on my 2x PC's and my laptop. but each different setup, different anti virus and so on. just don't get what could be causing this?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to at least include Windows version information for both PC's and laptop.

Does the icon actually completely disappear or just change from the icon you selected to a generic icon?

You mention that the missing shortcut still works and I am not clear as how you are clicking the shortcut to see that it works.

Are the icons disappearing from the desktop or from inside some folder either shown on the desktop or elsewhere in File Explorer?

Are you using any third party utilities to configure and manage shortcuts?

With three affected devices it is very likely that there is some common configuration problem.

Select one system to work on and once that system is fixed the same solution, hopefully, will work for the other two computers.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran