Question Shorted MB or PSU problem?

Feb 22, 2019
I built a new desktop last week after my last MB (z97) quit on me. The only old components that I continue to use are my GPU and my SSD. The new build has been working perfectly until I attempted to install an M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD (XPG SX8200 Pro) this afternoon. I thought I had been a bit more thorough, but now I'm not sure my MB supported this SSD. According to MSI, the MB has:
1 x M.2 slot (Key M)1
Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (AMD® Ryzen 1st and 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (AMD® Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
AMD® B450 Chipset

Anyways, I installed this after watching multiple videos and felt pretty confident. After starting my PC up I experienced a crash shortly after my desktop loaded. At this point, I took my the M.2 out and haven't attempted to put it back in, but have still experienced a few random crashes. One of these crashes occurred when I plugged in a thumbstick to back up a few newer files I wanted to transfer. The old SSD that has my OS on it (Win10) is connected to SATA1, which I understand can be turned off if attempting to use an M.2 slot, but the manual for my MB says that it only shuts off SATA5 and SATA6 (not to mention that the M.2 no longer has the SSD in it). Did I somehow damage my MB or PSU? Obviously, something isn't right if this problem is persisting after removing the M.2.

Build:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
MB: B450 Tomahawk
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G3
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC
RAM: 2x Viper DDR4 8GB

TLDR:
New build was working fine until I attempted to install an M.2 Gen3x4. PC is now experiencing random crashes even after the drive was removed.

*been a lurker for years. Many of you have resolved my problems without even knowing it, thank you!

Feb 22, 2019
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how to interpret these results. It says I've had 4 critical errors in the past 24 hours: event ID 41, Source: Kernel-Power.

I did attempt to see if anyone else had similar issues before I created an account and posted. One post suggested installing "Who crashed", but it didn't give me any information after two crashes.

Feb 22, 2019
According to that link:
"Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently."

Being that my PSU is about 8 days old does that suggest that it was ruined by installing the M.2? 850W should be more than sufficient to handle my build.

TRENDING THREADS