[SOLVED] ShotCut video editer wrong settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hi, some help would be appreciated, i am trying to edit and render a gameplay video to upload on youtube. I am pretty new to this so i am not sure if i am using the correct settings, but i have tried multiple ones so far and none are even remotely good.
video editor used: shotcut
video length: ~1 hour
Video size: ~19gb

first try:
-H264 high profile
-resolution 2560x1440
-frames 60
-codec libx264
-rate control: quality-based vbr
-Quality: 70%
-bframes: 3
-audio untouched

results:
horrible quality video compared to the original
size barely reduced sitting at around ~15GB

second try:
-youtube profile
-resolution 2560x1440
-frames 60
-codec libx264
-rate control: quality-based vbr
-Quality: 80%
-bframes: 2
-audio untouched

results:
quality is fine compared to the original
but the size is way more than the original: ~38.6 GBs

could someone direct as to what i am doing wrong here? Thank you for your help

Solution
Quality factor - invers scale, closing to zeero goes towards uncompressed video.

Just a little disclaimer: I'm currently sitting on a laptop where Avidemux is not installed, so some of the menu item captions is from the memory and may not be strictly correct named.

When you want the video smaller you would probably want two things (third one about video quality issues):
  • Quality factor set higher. I tend to have my videos between 23 - 27 where anything beyond 30 I think is too bad for normal video. However that depends on resolution - a low resolution video is far more sensible to artefacts and should not use high values. This is a question of personal preferences - I suggest you have a little piece of the video (for testin) and...

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Are you in need of actually video editing features or just to cut length and reduce file size? If so, you can use Avidemux and I can help you through some settings I use.
i might need to add intros/outros or edit some parts later down the road.. but that's only if i can figure out why it's not working properly.
Could you help me with avidemux? maybe i can fiddle with this one and see what happens

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Sure, yes. But you may want to get familiar with the interface, just ask when you have questions.
so i have installed avidemux
opened my video file
and chose those settings which made the most sense to me, please correct me where if wrong on any of them:
1- Video output:
-Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
-under general: Constant Rate Factor (single pass) high quality:11
rest as default

i am trying these settings now and will update you on the results

edit: the end result is 22GB
so im definitely doing something wrong here

Last edited:
Quality factor - invers scale, closing to zeero goes towards uncompressed video.

Just a little disclaimer: I'm currently sitting on a laptop where Avidemux is not installed, so some of the menu item captions is from the memory and may not be strictly correct named.

When you want the video smaller you would probably want two things (third one about video quality issues):
  • Quality factor set higher. I tend to have my videos between 23 - 27 where anything beyond 30 I think is too bad for normal video. However that depends on resolution - a low resolution video is far more sensible to artefacts and should not use high values. This is a question of personal preferences - I suggest you have a little piece of the video (for testin) and convert it using quality 20 and 30, see what you think is better and choose something between.
  • Uncheck the "use advanced configuration", and select Preset = Slower (or whatever the next slowest options is, but do not use the absolute slowest in the list unless it's for streaming). This will cause the conversion to take more time, but less information is trowed away (i.e. better overall video quality).
  • The Tuning option. Personally I use either None or Film. If you use None, it get smaller files, but but areas that appears with same color or just gradually slope between two colors (like the blue sky) tend to be blocky, and doesn't look great. Film make the end result more detailed but also bigger file size. A third options I didn't mentioned (because I don't use that often) is Grainy. This is a last resort if you struggle with blocky result, especially when black walls appears blocky for all other settings.
And lets not forgot the audio, even if the audio steream takes up much less space than video, you may want to decrease the file size as much as possible, and then you have to consider the audio too.

Personally, when only voice is used I tend to use AAC/FAAC and set it to about 64kbps and turn on the "boost" option. You may want to try with a small portion of the video file to see if 64kbps is enough or if you feel to go higher quality.

Reactions: Devileyes
Solution

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

• Quality factor set higher. I tend to have my videos between 23 - 27 where anything beyond 30 I think is too bad for normal video. However that depends on resolution - a low resolution video is far more sensible to artefacts and should not use high values. This is a question of personal preferences - I suggest you have a little piece of the video (for testin) and convert it using quality 20 and 30, see what you think is better and choose something between.
  • Uncheck the "use advanced configuration", and select Preset = Slower (or whatever the next slowest options is, but do not use the absolute slowest in the list unless it's for streaming). This will cause the conversion to take more time, but less information is trowed away (i.e. better overall video quality).
  • The Tuning option. Personally I use either None or Film. If you use None, it get smaller files, but but areas that appears with same color or just gradually slope between two colors (like the blue sky) tend to be blocky, and doesn't look great. Film make the end result more detailed but also bigger file size. A third options I didn't mentioned (because I don't use that often) is Grainy. This is a last resort if you struggle with blocky result, especially when black walls appears blocky for all other settings.
And lets not forgot the audio, even if the audio steream takes up much less space than video, you may want to decrease the file size as much as possible, and then you have to consider the audio too.

Personally, when only voice is used I tend to use AAC/FAAC and set it to about 64kbps and turn on the "boost" option. You may want to try with a small portion of the video file to see if 64kbps is enough or if you feel to go higher quality.
thank you so much, that is greatly appreciated. i will play with the settings you mentioned and see what happens. Thanks again

Devileyes

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

update: the end result was ~5.5GB and the video quality was fine.. i will try to replicate these settings in shotcut and see what happens.
thank you for the help

Last edited:
Reactions: Grobe
Status
Not open for further replies.