[SOLVED] Shoud I compromise with greater CPU for better display?

Oct 12, 2020
I'm planning to get the Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 in the upcoming sale which comes with R5 4600H + GTX 1650Ti, 60hz display and 65% sRGB while the alternative one MSI Alpha 15 comes with R7 3750H + Radeon RX 5500M with 144hz display and 98% sRGB.
It's basically for ML, Data Science and heavy gaming (more than casual) purpose.
So, which one should I go for?

Solution
Either way it wont be a good thing to compromise because if you compromise on the display then even if your laptop throws out more FPS than it can display, there is no point, other way around if your laptop is having higher refresh rate screen but there is no use of the screen as games will be CPU bottlenecked, also R5 4600H is way better for productivity than R7 3750H
also if it is very urgent to buy a laptop then i would say go for The 60Hz one but if no then wait for a laptop with 144/120Hz as well as R5 4600H

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Either way it wont be a good thing to compromise because if you compromise on the display then even if your laptop throws out more FPS than it can display, there is no point, other way around if your laptop is having higher refresh rate screen but there is no use of the screen as games will be CPU bottlenecked, also R5 4600H is way better for productivity than R7 3750H
also if it is very urgent to buy a laptop then i would say go for The 60Hz one but if no then wait for a laptop with 144/120Hz as well as R5 4600H

Reactions: TheCruiser7
Solution
Be aware that gaming laptops are notorious for thermal throttling due to the limited size and weight of the coolers. Do you need the portability of a laptop?
If not, a desktop is likely to be a better buy.

Can you supply a link to each candidate?

I do not know what 65/95% sRGB means

Reactions: poorbugger

poorbugger

Distinguished
Be aware that gaming laptops are notorious for thermal throttling due to the limited size and weight of the coolers. Do you need the portability of a laptop?
If not, a desktop is likely to be a better buy.

Can you supply a link to each candidate?

I do not know what 65/95% sRGB means
I second this. Had a gaming laptop and i underwent a lot of effort to make it's not thermal throttling. If you're not comfortable with that, get a desktop. Also it's not only the cpu that's different. The rx 5500m is more powerful than the gtx 1650 ti.