Shoud I upgrade FX6100 CPU to FX8320, or should i stick with it till new build?

deimokas

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hi all,
I have FX6100 and i am feeling i need an upgrade. Should i upgrade CPU to for example FX8320, or should i stick with it and wait till i will have to build new system as current one is from 2011.
PC is used for BF3, BF4 and similar FPS games, as media center and for work/studies ect.

Sys. Spec.
CPU - FX6100 (Running at 3.8Ghz)
Motherbord - Asus M5A99x EVO
GPU - MSI 570 GTX
RAM - Crucial CL9 1333Mhz
PSU - unknown vendor, 700w

You won't gain much in games going up to the 8320; a little faster then the 6100. You might gain in your work and studies if any of those programs are multi-threaded.
The 8 cores are tempting, and if you were running a quad core it would make sense, but your six core is pretty good for the money you paid.
If you want to improve your pc, set aside the money you were going to use for the new CPU and look into a 'name brand, quality brand' psu. From your post I gather that it might be an inexpensive PSU you are using.
Next, consider a 700 series (760 or 770) from Nvidia or one of the new R9's from AMD; probably make the biggest improvement in your system; much more then the new CPU.

deimokas

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

How much RAM do you have installed?

That should be plenty for gaming, and was the only thing I could think of that would mess with frame rates.
I have not idea why your FPS would slow down as you lower the resolution.
Just a guess, but if you are playing on-line/mutiplayer when you lower the resolution maybe it is the game server settings.
Try playing some single-player in, say, BF4, at high resolution. Check and log the frame rates with FRAPS.
Then play the same sequence at lower resolution and record the FPS.

Anyone else with any ideas?