[SOLVED] Should a HDMI => DVI-D single link adaptor work with a DVI-D dual link monitor?

Sep 16, 2021
I have a laptop and I'm trying to hook it up to a monitor.

The output from the laptop is HDMI, and the input to the monitor is a DVI-D dual link. With it, I have a DVI-D dual link cable. I also have a HDMI to DVI-D single link adaptor. When I plug this into the cable & laptop, the monitor doesn't appear to receive any signal.

As it happens I got to try it with just a HDMI cable and another monitor that has HDMI input and it works fine. Unfortunately that one doesn't belong to me so it's not really a solution.

My question is, should this work? I don't want to go out and buy another adaptor if it turns out this isn't what the problem is.

Thanks...

Solution

The output from the laptop is HDMI, and the input to the monitor is a DVI-D dual link. With it, I have a DVI-D dual link cable. I also have a HDMI to DVI-D single link adaptor. When I plug this into the cable & laptop, the monitor doesn't appear to receive any signal.

As it happens I got to try it with just a HDMI cable and another monitor that has HDMI input and it works fine. Unfortunately that one doesn't belong to me so it's not really a solution.

My question is, should this work? I don't want to go out and buy another adaptor if it turns out this isn't what the problem is.

Thanks...
No, it won't work unless the adapter you have is a powered HDMI to DVI Dual-Link...

Thanks...
No, it won't work unless the adapter you have is a powered HDMI to DVI Dual-Link Active Adapter.

If the adapter you have is not powered, then it does not support DVI Dual-Link. That one could work to connect an HDMI display or projector to a computer but not the other way around.

Reactions: colmde
Solution