[SOLVED] Should a Universal laptop power adapter be grounded?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
May be I should have asked:
Should ANY laptop power adapter be grounded?

As a computer repair tech, I always wondered why some power adapters for laptops come with a ground pin on the AC plug and others don’t.

Example: Macbook Pros in the UK have 3-prong AC plugs with an actual metal ground pin.

Other laptops I’ve seen have a plastic (dummy) ground pin or no ground pin on the AC plug.

I’m planning to buy two Universal Power Adapters:
  • USB-C Power adapter (up to 100w with USB-A and USB-C ports)
  • Multi-tip Universal Power Adapter for all laptops (barrel tips).

Should they have a ground prong on the AC plug?

Any advice much appreciated.

Solution

As a computer repair tech, I always wondered why some power adapters for laptops come with a ground pin on the AC plug and others don’t.

Example: Macbook Pros in the UK have 3-prong AC plugs with an actual metal ground pin.

Other laptops I’ve seen have a plastic (dummy) ground pin or no ground pin on the AC plug.

They don't have to have a ground pin, but if you're using a laptop with an...

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I also noticed that most US plugs for laptop adapters don't have the ground pin, while UK ones sometimes have it. I wonder if the UK ground prong is really grounded to the metal case on the laptop or to the internal ground such as on the motherboard.

Last edited:

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
One thought, if there is ANY chance you're working outside / exposed to moisture, it would be safer to have a ground plug. I think ARC Fault / GFCI's will also be able to provide more coverage / safety if ground is present.

Side note: Even if you have a ground line on the power adapter the ground may or may not terminate at the power brick, (the +/-DC output might or might not be tied to ground through the negative (-) terminal.

Reactions: Rodion15

They don't have to have a ground pin, but if you're using a laptop with an aluminum chassis, you're going to want one.

When I worked at Razer on the first version of Blade, we wanted to make the adapter as small as possible so we used a C7 power cord (no ground pin). Now, when I was testing, I was either wearing shoes or standing on a carpeted floor. :D But apparently, some people use their laptops with sweaty bare feet and they were complaining about feeling a tingle through the Blade's aluminum chassis. We had to go back and uglify my beautiful power brick by making it larger so it could utilize a C5 power cord (with ground pin).

Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for your great answers.

I made some tests with a multimeter, confirming that NO, the laptop chassis is not connected to the AC mains ground.

I tested on a Macbook Pro 2015, a Windows laptop and a Chromebook.

The negative on the laptop charger is connected to the chassis/motherboard on these.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
They don't have to have a ground pin, but if you're using a laptop with an aluminum chassis, you're going to want one.

When I worked at Razer on the first version of Blade, we wanted to make the adapter as small as possible so we used a C7 power cord (no ground pin). Now, when I was testing, I was either wearing shoes or standing on a carpeted floor. :D But apparently, some people use their laptops with sweaty bare feet and they were complaining about feeling a tingle through the Blade's aluminum chassis. We had to go back and uglify my beautiful power brick by making it larger so it could utilize a C5 power cord (with ground pin).

Thanks for your nice answer.

I tested with a multimeter on my 2015 Macbook Pro and the metal case is not connected to the AC plug "mains" ground prong. So there's no grounding.