[SOLVED] Should both RAM sticks be identical or I can change brand?

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
I got one stick of "Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM", I want to add 8GB more cause sometimes I feel like GTA5, RDR2 is asking for more RAM and my system uses around 23%RAM when idle. Can I go with any brand as long as it's DDR4 2400MHz? I read somewhere that RAM latency should also match, I don't have any idea about the latency of my existing RAM. I can save around 10$ if I go with some other brand. Need your advice. Thnx.

Last edited:
Solution
There are a few rules when mixing ram

obvious one is to get same type of ram like ddr4 or ddr3 etc
Try to get the same speed (if you do not match it will scale down to the slowest ram stick)
Try to get the same "CL" - download cpu-id and go to the ram tab, and find what is next tos CAS latency
try to stick to the same brand

While not guaranteed that it will work, this will greaty increase the odds in your favour

In my personal experience it usually works
D

Deleted member 14196

It is generally not recommended because it’s not guaranteed to work but if you do it you can do all your own testing and make sure that it works but if it doesn’t work you will know why

There are a few rules when mixing ram

obvious one is to get same type of ram like ddr4 or ddr3 etc
Try to get the same speed (if you do not match it will scale down to the slowest ram stick)
Try to get the same "CL" - download cpu-id and go to the ram tab, and find what is next tos CAS latency
try to stick to the same brand

While not guaranteed that it will work, this will greaty increase the odds in your favour

In my personal experience it usually works

Solution

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
As the previous repliers have said it should work to jast add another stick.
Doesn't even have to be the same nominal speed or latency.
You even have two options with a different stick:
  1. (Suggested primary option.) Set RAM to use dual channel. The BIOS should find settings that both sticks will accept. Your RAM clock might go down a bit but data transfer speed goes up.
  2. Set RAM to single channel. The sticks will use independent (different) settings but the data transfer won't be faster than you have today. This will work.