Question should buy z690 or z790

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
I decided to buy an intel 13 gen CPU (13700k) since it is around the corner plus the price difference is not that big, so I want to know if will it be fine to buy the motherboard z690 instead of z790 or if should I just buy z790.

That depends on what the exact model of graphics card (Now or in the future), NVME drives and exact motherboard model itself is going to be. And, how much of everything you plan to run.

Z790 is going to have 230 downstream PCIe lanes versus 12 on the Z690 boards, so that alone might be worth it for somebody wanting to run a lot of PCIe devices such as graphics card, three or more M.2 NVME drives, additional expansion cards, or multiple graphics cards, etc.

Also, it will likely have an additional USB 3.2 Gen2x2 USB port, so if you can take advantage of or need that it could be important.

If none of that really applies to you, and maybe even if it does since most Z690 boards are going to be a lot less expensive for a while, then Z690 is probably just fine.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
That depends on what the exact model of graphics card (Now or in the future), NVME drives and exact motherboard model itself is going to be. And, how much of everything you plan to run.

Z790 is going to have 230 downstream PCIe lanes versus 12 on the Z690 boards, so that alone might be worth it for somebody wanting to run a lot of PCIe devices such as graphics card, three or more M.2 NVME drives, additional expansion cards, or multiple graphics cards, etc.

Also, it will likely have an additional USB 3.2 Gen2x2 USB port, so if you can take advantage of or need that it could be important.

If none of that really applies to you, and maybe even if it does since most Z690 boards are going to be a lot less expensive for a while, then Z690 is probably just fine.
currently, I have gtx 1070ti which I plan to upgrade next year maybe to a 3090 or 40 series, I already have PSU(Gigabyte P1000GM 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular) bought and not opened yet.

When, EXACTLY, did you buy that P1000GM and what is the serial number of it?

You do realize that those GM series units had VERY SERIOUS problems and have only recently been re-released with an updated design that doesn't include the potential for burning down your house as a free added benefit, right?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM

If you are only going to run SATA SSDs or fewer than three NVME PCIe M.2 drives, and won't be running multiple graphics cards or a single graphics card utilizing the PCIe 5.0 bus (Of which there are currently none), and don't need multiple Gen 2x2 USB 3.2 ports, then you are probably fine with a Z690 board but if you are going to run a 13700k it's probably a really good idea to at least get a mid tier board towards the top of the middle stack so you can be sure to get a good VRM configuration because that CPU can pull like 253w under boost conditions based on the Intel data sheets.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
When, EXACTLY, did you buy that P1000GM and what is the serial number of it?

You do realize that those GM series units had VERY SERIOUS problems and have only recently been re-released with an updated design that doesn't include the potential for burning down your house as a free added benefit, right?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM

If you are only going to run SATA SSDs or fewer than three NVME PCIe M.2 drives, and won't be running multiple graphics cards or a single graphics card utilizing the PCIe 5.0 bus (Of which there are currently none), and don't need multiple Gen 2x2 USB 3.2 ports, then you are probably fine with a Z690 board but if you are going to run a 13700k it's probably a really good idea to at least get a mid tier board towards the top of the middle stack so you can be sure to get a good VRM configuration because that CPU can pull like 253w under boost conditions based on the Intel data sheets.
I bought it last week from a local online seller in my country Serial number SN21203g013159 I have 2 SATA drives and 1 nveme SSD I Idk if I would buy more latter, I use 1 GPU since I only game on it. However mine is 1000 w all reviews are on 850 w and 750 model

Last edited:
IF I may ask, what country ARE you in? That might make a big difference on whether I recommend trying to return it or not. It doesn't seem to be included in the same recalls that the 750 and 850w units were, but since that whole line was a giant mess and serious concern, and since they've completely replaced the P1000GM with a different model now, and given I'm not the only one with concerns about it (And, this guy IS fairly knowledgeable), plus the fact that there are no actual professional reviews of this unit, I'm kind of inclined to recommend returning it but if there is nothing else you can get that is better quality at or near the price you paid for that, or if it can't be returned, then that might not be able to happen.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
IF I may ask, what country ARE you in? That might make a big difference on whether I recommend trying to return it or not. It doesn't seem to be included in the same recalls that the 750 and 850w units were, but since that whole line was a giant mess and serious concern, and since they've completely replaced the P1000GM with a different model now, and given I'm not the only one with concerns about it (And, this guy IS fairly knowledgeable), plus the fact that there are no actual professional reviews of this unit, I'm kind of inclined to recommend returning it but if there is nothing else you can get that is better quality at or near the price you paid for that, or if it can't be returned, then that might not be able to happen.

I live in lebanon the company I got it from has another store dubai, plus as I noticed costumer support is friendly towards me till now and saw many unbox it with 0 issues. Plus it was not so cheap it was 180$ but got it 170 on sale

So, if you're in Lebanon your choices are probably really limited and that unit might end up being better than a lot of others, but it still worries me because it's an unknown factor and other units in that series had very real problems. If you can return it and get something better as listed AS better on one of the two following links, it would be a good idea but whatever you do don't buy something without asking about the model here first so we can help you avoid a costly mistake.