Question Should I accept stable 4.7ghz?

Dec 18, 2019
Hello guys,

Yesterday I was playing around in my bios to try and clock my i5-9600k at 5ghz.
Long story short:

Got it to boot to windows once on 5ghz but it froze right before the log in screen
4.8ghz "was" stable untill I ran the benchmark for the 3rd time.
4.6ghz was the most stable. Even playing Destiny 2 on ultra with significantly more FPS than stock and not going higher than 60 degrees.

Currently I'm on 4.7ghz. It is running cool while playing Destiny 2 and is stable.

But why am i not able to run 5ghz or stable 4.8ghz?
Here is my full build.

CPU
I5-9600k
Cooler
CRYORIG M9 Plus
GPU
Gigabyte RTX 2060 6G OC
Mobo
MSI MPG Z390
MEM
D416GB 2666-16 Vengeance LPX
PSU
be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER11 CM 650W

I also have 3 basic 120mm fans that came with the case (aerocool aero-1000)

When I run cinebench on 4.8ghz and above, my system will freeze as the CPU reaches 80 degrees. I have read online that 80 degrees on full load should be fine? What's going on? Should I cut my losses and stay at 4.7ghz?

I'd love to hear you guys opinion on this.

Dec 18, 2019
"Silicon Lottery"
Your 92mm cooler is clearly inadequate.
That being said, overheating generally doesn't result in a complete system hang. Usually the CPU with throttle down. What voltage is being applied at say, 4.8GHz.

I got it up to 4.8ghz stable. Played destiny 2 for a while and the temps were normal (did not reach 70)

Heres a cinebench result (max temp during test was 84)
cAyAkUl.png

I also read online that the cooler im using isnt great for overclocking. any suggestions? I dont really want to watercool tbh

Still, for some reason i am able to bench at 4.8 without a systems crash.

Dec 18, 2019
The difference between 4.7 and 5.0 is 6%. The reality is you are not going notice the difference in anything other than benchmarks. It’s nice for bragging rights to say 5.0 but if you can only achieve 4.7 don’t worry.

I see. I dont "need" to hit 5.0 if it means i will fry my cpu in 6 months or so. my cooler isnt that great. i could upgrade it but not worth it for the little bit of fps gain. i am very happy at 4.8 though. destiny 2 at ultra settings is running smooth! love it.

Dec 18, 2019
I’m not saying you will fry your cpu. You do want your system to be stable though. All I am saying is get the best you can that is stable at safe temps/voltages and be done with it.

I understand. I was referring to my cpu cooler not being the greatest for the job :)
But still, i am wondering why my system freezes when i clock over 4.8?

EDIT: ok so its because im undervolting my cpu. currently i have the vcore set to auto/override mode. manually setting it to MSI's recommended voltage did not even boot my pc and reset the bios values.

Last edited: