Question Should i add another exhaust fan?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I just recently bought this PC from BestBuy and I was wondering if this was an adequate cooling system for it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...b-hdd-240gb-ssd-white/6315148.p?skuId=6315148

The fifth picture it shows has the best look at how the cooling is set up. I'm pretty sure it has the 2 intakes towards the front and 1 exhaust out the back. It has an open spot for a case fan on top that I was thinking about adding as another exhaust fan. Do you think that would be good for the overall cooling on this system?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Ok thanks for your honesty guys, I could tell it wasnt an ideal case at all that's why I came here. My question is, even with my setup right now as it is, I'm running on average 70-75 during heavy load from cpu and gpu. From what I've been reading is these parts are designed for that and I should really only worry if it's running any hotter than that. Should I be worried that these current temps will mess up any of my hardware?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
This is my first gaming PC so I knew I would learn a lot from having it and be better prepared for my next investment. I am very happy with the performance I'm getting and running games at high settings with good frames. Even though my temps are higher than youd like, they dont seem to be dangerous. Just not ideal. As long as it can give me a few years or more I am ok with that as I would plan on building one of my own in the future.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It appears cyberpower have a stack of cases which they throw your build in, as this has same specs and almost exact same problems

I am a snob, my case is 9 year old design and still makes most of the new ones look bad in cooling. Considering top end case makers are making fundamental mistakes with case design now I cannot be too harsh on Cyberpower's likely relabelled chinese cases

All I can do is wait for them to wake up and realise cases aren't just meant to look good, they supposed to help cool things put inside them.

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet at 4.37 mark in this video it shows there are filtered intake vents on the right hand side of case so it has a source of air from there, not sure how good the intake fans are still facing the way they do

I found the actual case
That looks like just louvers, not an actual filter.

Blowing towards the glass, there will quickly be a small layer of dust on the inside of that glass panel.
In addition to the whole direction thing.

Fans need to blow air through the case, not just blow it around inside.
Front to back.

Weak sauce.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible there is some mesh on inside of case, there aren't enough videos of this actual case for me to tell. Most of the videos spend more time going wow at kb and mouse than looking at actual PC.

2 sideways facing fans are bigger fans, so might not cause too much dust. The CPU cooler layout in the above kitguru video would work in his, at least get the CPU heat out of case..

GPU still probably get a little warmer but its got nothing obstructing it, and the 2 front fans feeding it even if subtly, nothing else is hot down there.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I still really cant tell if my two side by side fa ns in the case are intake, what's the best way to do the test and what exactly am I looking for with the tissue paper?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
With the system running, on the outside of the case where the vent holes are...hold the tissue paper there.
Does it suck or does it blow?

I would say its sucking more than blowing, its just hard to tell since the vents are skinny and theres space between the fans and the outside of the case. I can def tell my 3rd fan in the back is blowing out so I'm pretty sure those 2 are intake.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Yeah that's kind of **. Really only solution is a better case at this point. Only experience I have of putting together a PC is adding better memory into this one lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
If I installed a good liquid cooling system in this pc, I should be get my temps down a bit even with the poor case design right? Does a cooling system also help gpu temps?

USAFRet

Titan
If I installed a good liquid cooling system in this pc, I should be get my temps down a bit even with the poor case design right? Does a cooling system also help gpu temps?
A liquid CPU cooler may reduce the CPU temp.
It replaces the little fan thats on the CPU now, and a radiator underneath those two RGB fans. Blowing OUT.

It may only marginally reduce (at best) the GPU temp, only because the actual air inside the case will be a little bit 'less hot'.

I can't think of any way that case can be made 'good'.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This 2nd one of these I seen with a water cooler attached to CPU and exhausting out rear, and using the 2 fans as intakes

case is very close to what op has - he reviews what quality of parts are in one he got. Seems they all cheapest available

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those are standard direction, rgb fans. You can see the front of the fans, so those slots on the rear are next to useless as any air is directed towards them. Those 2 fans in the front are mounted as exhaust, not as intake.

You've basically got 3x exhaust fans and no air intake other than an open top fan slot.

That case was probably, originally, a concept stolen from the Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic design, that got stupid once looks over-rode common sense. I couldn't find anything saying if there was open, available fan mounts on the floor of the case, with that design, that would be the best possible option, and fill that top slot with an exhaust fan because as it stands, that rear exhaust has 1 major source of air, and it's not coming from the case volume.

In Colif video link at 10.30, the reviewer states clearly that he complained to Cyberpower because all the fans were set to exhaust. The only reason that 120mm aio can pull the lower temps is the much larger vacuum draw capable by those 120mm fans, pulling air in through the top. Op's tiny heatsink fan will seriously suffer in comparison.

At this point, my only suggestion (for a band aid fix) is turn that rear exhaust around to an intake and make it a back to front airflow. Or flip both the front fans to make them intake and stick some weather stripping around the back surface of the tray to isolate the fans intake slots from the rest of the case.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Some of the video reviews did mention the front fans were set up as exhaust in a number of other reviews. None of the PC are tested to work before being sold either, and until LInus and GN tested their PC over Xmas, cyberpower weren't even setting XMP on or having newest BIOS on boards when sold

Someone asked about this exact same link on the cyberpower forums and was told

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/FORUM/gma3200bst-all-exhaust-fans_topic55540_post251396.html#251396

seems in some cases the fans are being installed backwards

trying to find out more info on case

Considering I had a brand new CyberPower come in with missing motherboard standoffs and the board screwed into the missing areas directly touching the tray I wouldn't be surprised if these came installed wrong.

TRENDING THREADS