should I add my Aorus GTX1070 OC to my custom cooling loop?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, Guys,

I am doing a MITX build. The CPU will be an overclocked I7-4790K on a custom cooling loop. My GPU is a single fan Aorus GTX1070 OC Mini. This is a single fan implementation.

I just discovered that Bykski has put up full coverage cooling blocks on Amazon for most all (GTX 1070, GTX 1070, and GTX 1080) of the mini GTX GPUs at a very attractive price (on the order of $140 US.)

The radiator I am using is a 200mmx200mm unit which is the equivalent of a 120mmx330mm unit.

In y'all's opinions do you think it is worth expanding my loop from CPU only to CPU + GPU?

This is for 1440p gaming of AAA titles.

Your sage advice to a watercooling loop novice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Larry

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally considered a bad idea to water cool mid-range cards. You could just sell the 1070 and buy a 1070Ti/1080 for the cost of a water block.

Pascal cards do like to be cool, and you can get a lot out of even reference cards, but still 2100Mhz or so on a 1070 is still slower than a 1070Ti.

If you just want to do it, sure. Keep in mind that you often can't re-use full cover blocks for any future upgrades.

GTX1070 is likely to slip below 60FPS at max settings on recent titles running at 2560x1440, pretty good at it when it came out, but there are a few titles out already that it can't handle. For now you can adjust settings down in a few unnoticeable places to get good frame rates.

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Eximo,

Damn but that was a great answer...even though it was not exactly what I had hoped to hear. I only ended up with that 1070 due to remarkable price. It would not have been the card of choice with unlimited funds!

For the price of that Bykski, and three or four fittings I certainly could not have moved up to even a 1070ti, so I will probably give it a shot.....unless someone else chimes in, so...….

Larry