[SOLVED] should I add one more fan ?

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hi ,
In my current setup I have 1 fan on the back (came with the case , 120mm ), 1 on the top(xigmatec fan of 120mm) and 1 on the front (some chinese unbranded fan that bought on ebay ) ... the case could have 1 more on the front of 120mm and two on the side of 120mmm or one of 200mm ... Many says that on the side is pointless or even can have worse temps . So I should add 1 more fan on the front or will not help the airflow ?
I think i don´t have major problems on my computer temperatures , anyway I´m just curious about it

My build :
MB:MSI a88xm-e35 , max temperature that I ever seen is about 35º
CPU:AMD a8 6600k, max temperature that I ever seen is about 55ºc
CPU cooler: CM Hyper TX3 EVO
GPU:XFX GTS XXX RX 580 4gb , max temperature that I ever seen is about 80ºc
RAM: 2x 4gb corsair xms3 1666mhz
PSU:Bitfenix formula gold 550w
Case : NOX Coolbay SX

Solution
Yes the front intake has filtered intake. so you need 2 intake and one exhaust to achieve positive pressure.
This simply means you are supplying more filteder air than your unfiltered exhaust fan is moving.
This keeps a lot more dust out of your system.
With more exhaust than intake you suck unfiltered air in all of the openings/ unoccupied fan mounts in you case.
Simple answer YES

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
If you don't add up CFM for each fan, how do you if it's a positive or a negative setup. 2 fans in and 2 fans out sounds like, not a clue. You don't have a fan or 2 on your CPU inline with the rear case fan?

Raw CFM stats aren't everything. If your intake fans are ultra high CFM jet turbine but it has to suck air through a straw and push it through a hard drive cage....you'll still end up with negative air flow.

Most of the time you want positive pressure because you can control where the dust is entering, like a dust filter! If you have negative pressure, the box is going to suck dust in from all the places you don't want it and it'll look dirty, and could accumulate dust in heat sinks. That can affect performance.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Raw CFM stats aren't everything. If your intake fans are ultra high CFM jet turbine but it has to suck air through a straw and push it through a hard drive cage....you'll still end up with negative air flow.

Most of the time you want positive pressure because you can control where the dust is entering, like a dust filter! If you have negative pressure, the box is going to suck dust in from all the places you don't want it and it'll look dirty, and could accumulate dust in heat sinks. That can affect performance.
Okay thank you ... But should I add a second fan on front or it is pointless ? That's what I need to know . the second fan really make me feel that could blow more air for hdd instead of the case itself by the way the case is made .
My intake fan have this specs :
Fan Speed:1200 RPM
Fan Airflow: 38.4 CFM

I looked up your case. If you aren't using the upper hard drive cage, then I think it might help direct a little more air at the CPU. However, because the case is so open I don't think the positive/negative pressure is going to make a lot of difference. You can pressurize a balloon but you'll need an explosive to pressurize a colander.

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I looked up your case. If you aren't using the upper hard drive cage, then I think it might help direct a little more air at the CPU. However, because the case is so open I don't think the positive/negative pressure is going to make a lot of difference. You can pressurize a balloon but you'll need an explosive to pressurize a colander.
You 're seeing this case right ? https://www.nox-xtreme.com/en/chassis/coolbay-sx-blue-edition
Because there's only one cage for hdd , the fan on the front it is on top of the hdd cage .

You need slightly more filtered air coming in than going out. This is called positive pressure.
But filters can reduce air flow by up to 50% of a fans rated CFM.
So you need at least 2 intake fans for every exhaust fan when filtered for matching fans.
I use higher CFM intake fans to compensate for filter reduction of airflow. so I have a 1 in to 1 out ratio.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
You need slightly more filtered air coming in than going out. This is called positive pressure.
But filters can reduce air flow by up to 50% of a fans rated CFM.
So you need at least 2 intake fans for every exhaust fan when filtered for matching fans.
I use higher CFM intake fans to compensate for filter reduction of airflow. so I have a 1 in to 1 out ratio.
So I hould have a second fan intake on front then ?

Yes the front intake has filtered intake. so you need 2 intake and one exhaust to achieve positive pressure.
This simply means you are supplying more filteder air than your unfiltered exhaust fan is moving.
With more exhaust than intake you suck unfiltered air in all of the openings/ unoccupied fan mounts in you case.
Simple answer YES

Reactions: Rui Neves
Solution

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Simple answer YES
Thank you , I will do that soon

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Simple answer YES
I will have the same number of exhaust fans for intake fans , if I add one more intake ,will be two exhaust and 2 intake , should be like that ?

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I just saw this video online , for what I have seen since I have 1 top , 1 back , and 1 front , really need to only add 1 more fan at the front , not giving much of a difference but anyways a little better.
Don't show the temperatures for what I have right now on the video but I will flow what have been said here and I will add one more on the front . Worse can not be.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=8OmkmluAYAQ&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

If you don't have an idea of your CFM you have no place to even start trying to figure internal pressure or compensate for air flow/filter losses or trying to figure out why some "Rocket Scientist" has got your 200+ CFM Delta sucking air through a straw.
After that analogy the OP was really confused.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
If you don't have an idea of your CFM you have no place to even start trying to figure internal pressure or compensate for air flow/filter losses or trying to figure out why some "Rocket Scientist" has got your 200+ CFM Delta sucking air through a straw.
yes , I was looking only for a simple answer , and not some almost cientific answer hahahah ... Like yes it worth adding one fan or no it´s not worth it hahah .
in the end I end up adding one more fan on front and made no difference at all .... anyway I didin´t make the tests on same day than before so I don´t know if the ambient temperature was higher when I added the new fan anyway . I think it´s because my case have plenty of space and the side is very open too ...

Fair enough. It wasn't my best literary work. However, going back through the thread. Immediately after your post the OP said "I don't understand." So neither of us did a great job.

Unfortunately science is a part of the hobby and not everyone will accept a "simple answer" so I do my best to explain my reasoning with what I hope are simple scientific analogies. Most of the time it's not enough to say "A fan wont help" Usually their response to that is "why" or something ruder, because a short unjustified response is considered rude more often than not.

Sorry, I couldn't help more, or that I caused confusion.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Fair enough. It wasn't my best literary work. However, going back through the thread. Immediately after your post the OP said "I don't understand." So neither of us did a great job.

Unfortunately science is a part of the hobby and not everyone will accept a "simple answer" so I do my best to explain my reasoning with what I hope are simple scientific analogies. Most of the time it's not enough to say "A fan wont help" Usually their response to that is "why" or something ruder, because a short unjustified response is considered rude more often than not.

Sorry, I couldn't help more, or that I caused confusion.
no worries man , I am like you , but when someone does not understand the thing that you´re trying to explain it´s hard to know what you should do ... I think I have some knowledge but not enough on some points , so I could not understand your analogy ...

In the end it does not really help haaha , but I am always learning , anyway I would not have peace until I have certain that I could not do any better ....