Should I always keep the refresh rate for a monitor at its maximum?

josh_huang

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Hi guys, I have an ACER X34 monitor. The screen is 1440p and can be overclocked to 100 hz. I mainly use it for games. I am wondering should I leave the refresh rate at 100hz all the time.

I currently have a 970 graphic card and can only get 35+ fps for most AAA games at this stage, but will change to a 1080ti shortly and expecting to see the fps go 60+

Solution
High-end Acer monitors are quite good from what I've seen. They've stepped things up in the last few years.

I wouldn't worry about changing the refresh rates unless you are really overclocking beyond the manufacturer's intention. There's no benefit to lowering the refresh rate.

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
I wouldn't overclock a monitor especially acer. Acer is the worst company ever! I hate their products no offense. They are not working as they should be. At least my laptops and other stuff werent. never buy it in the future and don't overclock your monitor as it can brick it. :)

josh_huang

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017

Seeing your comment after spending $1429 AUD on the ACER X34 monitor kinda broke my heart... I was not aware of that the screen is set at 60hz by default and requires its build in overclocking function to reach 100 hz.

I am still interested in the answer to my topic question though. Say if I have an 144hz monitor (Not an ACER!!), should I always keep it at 144 hz??? Would I have any benefit to drop the refresh rate down to 60 or 80 hz?

High-end Acer monitors are quite good from what I've seen. They've stepped things up in the last few years.

I wouldn't worry about changing the refresh rates unless you are really overclocking beyond the manufacturer's intention. There's no benefit to lowering the refresh rate.

Solution