bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Looking at a xfx 570 4gb. The 8gb is 20 more for little benefit and the 580 is at minimum 30-40. That's for asus and xfx versions. Want to avoid used since this is my first true build. I mostly play technic mod packs, civ 6, euro truck and looking to play mount and blade II.
Also I could always upgrade to a 590 or 5600xt after awhile and I'd sell the 570 and get maybe 40-70 for it in the future hopefully!

Other specs:
R5 1600
16gb
CX550 2017
Gigabyte b450m

Thoughts?

Solution
Yeah, at max, some will struggle - if you are fine with medium settings, then one of the first three in this list, should handle it just fine, and gives you the best possible bang for the buck. (I'd go for the Sapphire, much better cooling. I don't know enough about XFX, and the AsRock according to reviews tends toward being a bit noisy because of a less-than-ideal cooler and fan setup).
Looking at what you're playing you won't need something extremely powerful. Even though those aren't demanding titles I"d still go for the RX 580 8gb(games are starting to eat up more than 4gb of VRAM nowadays). Also the only logical upgrade would be a 5600XT.... the RX 590 is just marginally faster than the 580(5% maybe 10% at best).
What resolution are you playing at?(guessing 1080p)

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Looking at what you're playing you won't need something extremely powerful. Even though those aren't demanding titles I"d still go for the RX 580 8gb(games are starting to eat up more than 4gb of VRAM nowadays). Also the only logical upgrade would be a 5600XT.... the RX 590 is just marginally faster than the 580(5% maybe 10% at best).
What resolution are you playing at?(guessing 1080p)
Looking to play 1080p max on them games. I know that mc modpacks won't be affect either way but the others will.

Yeah I could get vega 56 if it drops fast in the next year or two. I heard xfx has heating issues with 580 but might get a asus dual version which is rated highly or a sapphire if I can find one for around the same (150). I'm not a visual addict or fps freak, I spent 2017-18 using a 4350 and 1050! But looking to play banner lord and upcoming crusader King! So 580 might be the better option.

Looking to play 1080p max on them games. I know that mc modpacks won't be affect either way but the others will.

Yeah I could get vega 56 if it drops fast in the next year or two. I heard xfx has heating issues with 580 but might get a asus dual version which is rated highly or a sapphire if I can find one for around the same (150). I'm not a visual addict or fps freak, I spent 2017-18 using a 4350 and 1050! But looking to play banner lord and upcoming crusader King! So 580 might be the better option.

You'll struggle a bit maxing out some games with RX 580(AC Odyssey for example), but with a little bit of tweaking it'll be fine.
It'll be a great card for 1080p 60 Hz gaming either way.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, at max, some will struggle - if you are fine with medium settings, then one of the first three in this list, should handle it just fine, and gives you the best possible bang for the buck. (I'd go for the Sapphire, much better cooling. I don't know enough about XFX, and the AsRock according to reviews tends toward being a bit noisy because of a less-than-ideal cooler and fan setup).

Solution

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks, yeah. Asrock is out because only Newegg stocks and they charge an extra 30 on both shipping and extra tax! Basically scan and amazon are it! Thanks though.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Also I could always upgrade to a 590 or 5600xt after awhile and I'd sell the 570 and get maybe 40-70 for it in the future hopefully!
Buying a GPU that is currently on sale and then replacing it with another GPU that is currently on sale is both added hassle and not very cost-effective (unless you get super lucky playing the market).

Newegg's often not the best option for getting hardware to the UK. As @Shay Green says, stores like ebuyer can often do a decent deal.

What is your target budget for the graphics card?

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Buying a GPU that is currently on sale and then replacing it with another GPU that is currently on sale is both added hassle and not very cost-effective (unless you get super lucky playing the market).

Newegg's often not the best option for getting hardware to the UK. As @Shay Green says, stores like ebuyer can often do a decent deal.

What is your target budget for the graphics card?
100-150 looking at a 8gb asus 580 dual which is best value 580 from amazon uk. Heard asus' customer service isnt great but should be good enough? Could get a 580 4gb sapphire for roughly 155 from scan.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I'm not sure which specific listings the OP is looking at on Amazon, but many are from third party sellers (including CCL and ebuyer). Buying from marketplace sellers (i.e. from people listing goods on Amazon rather than Amazon themselves) could cause issues with warranty claims.

So if you're buying a GPU on the Amazon website not actually sold by Amazon themselves, you might as well buy from another website and avoid that potential complication. Plus the prices are at least as good.

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
I'm not sure which specific listings the OP is looking at on Amazon, but many are from third party sellers (including CCL and ebuyer). Buying from marketplace sellers (i.e. from people listing goods on Amazon rather than Amazon themselves) could cause issues with warranty claims.

So if you're buying a GPU on the Amazon website not actually sold by Amazon themselves, you might as well buy from another website and avoid that potential complication. Plus the prices are at least as good.
I saw! The 4gb would work fine for my uses since I'm not running many AAA games! Heard good and bad about ebuyer. But I'm willing to try them, also I believe amazon would still cover it because it was bought on their site.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
also I believe amazon would still cover it because it was bought on their site.
Amazon's customer service isn't the issue, the manufacturer potentially refusing to honour the warranty because it was bought from a marketplace seller is.

I've bought things off ebuyer (hard drives in my case) and they've been fine. And I've bought things off Amazon and had them not always be fine.

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Amazon's customer service isn't the issue, the manufacturer potentially refusing to honour the warranty because it was bought from a marketplace seller is.

I've bought things off ebuyer (hard drives in my case) and they've been fine. And I've bought things off Amazon and had them not always be fine.
I know, i was just saying.

Also that's part of the point I was making. If something did go wrong then amazon usually comes through even had them come through a few months after purchase! But I'll did them up. I'll also keep scan, amazon, overclockers and ccl in sight encase they come out with deal in the next days! Thanks.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
I know, i was just saying.

Also that's part of the point I was making. If something did go wrong then amazon usually comes through even had them come through a few months after purchase! But I'll did them up. I'll also keep scan, amazon, overclockers and ccl in sight encase they come out with deal in the next days! Thanks.
Happy to help

TRENDING THREADS